Steam's November 2016 Metrics Put Linux Gaming Marketshare At 0.88%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
    Hopefully we will see a PPA with most recent stable drivers for Ubuntu, following last month's Feral's statement.
    That statement was just a marketing trick to get people notice Feral, every news item or reference probably resultats in a team-highfive *yeah guys another one fell for it*.

Its a simple request, but so hard to implement in a stable release. If they think its necessary they should setup a ppa themselfs, its their core business and they already (should) do al the regression testing with different drivers, etc. They only have to package it

Never going to happen on both accounts

Comment

Originally posted by mcgreg View Post
      I wonder how many linux users really use steam.
      probably just like the windows pattern; only gamers use steam. Which is obviously a minority out of the total userbase... regardless of OS. Most people aren't PC gamers.
      Last edited by humbug; 02 December 2016, 04:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sjukfan View Post
        I'm more interested in the number of users than the marketshare. It's possible that Linux has grown a lot, just not as much as windows users.
        Should equate to roughly 1.1m Linux uses

Comment

I can't play dota2 24/4 hours a day guys.... ya'll need to pick it up.

Comment

Edit: I meant 24/7. also I got last month's survey.

Comment

The Steam users should have quite doubled since SteamOS started. So 1% Linux users are about twice as much nominally than in the time when SteamOS started.

Steam also starts automatically without asking every time Windows starts when you don't deactivate it. On Linux it doesn't start automatically by default which is very nice but leads of course in extensively less surveys for Linux users. So in total I wouldn't be surprised about Steam users being about 2% of all users in reality and as much as 4% would have been when SteamOS started.

Comment

You guys do really wonder why AAA studios don't bringt their games to Linux? Honestly? Get yourself some proper graphics. It's a shame to use just Intel for gaming!
                ​​​​​​
                People will just buy little indie games which are almost non-demanding in terms of GPU power.

Comment

I have 624 games on Steam, most of the games I currently play has native clients or is playable via wine. My current problem is spikes/stutter using radeonsi. I don't mind sacrificing most of my games without native clients, dropping to low settings or playing at lower FPS... as long as I can get above 75 FPS for competitive games and above 40 FPS for casual multiplayer / single players games.

There is one exception though, I would like to run StarCitizen on 6400x1080 (16:9_21:9_16:9) with more than 30 FPS or on HTC-Vive. I just don't see that happening soon, yet I remain optimistic about my lag-spikes/stutter issues. Linux Gaming does come with it own set of pros of course, my favourite is the ability to minimise/maximise fullscreen games quickly. I know the average user is not willing to make the sacrifices that I am willing to make to game on a platforms other than Windows (never mind consoles). I grabbed the free neverwinter nights diamond edition on gog.com today, so one more linux game.

I wonder if there is hardware/software that can measure tearing/delayed-frames/input lag across platforms, might be useful for people like me who complain of spikes even thought average FPS is not bad.

Comment

Originally posted by cRaZy-bisCuiT View Post
                    You guys do really wonder why AAA studios don't bringt their games to Linux? Honestly? Get yourself some proper graphics. It's a shame to use just Intel for gaming!
                    ​​​​​​
                    People will just buy little indie games which are almost non-demanding in terms of GPU power.
                    Percents on Windows are pretty close so your point is irrelevant.

Comment

Just after reading this article I turned to Steam, and there it was... my first Steam survey!

Here's ++user to Linux steam users.

Comment

Working...
                      X