No announcement yet.

X-Plane 11 Beta Now Available, Demo Too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use Xplane10 every days, almost. Got a free update to 11, downloaded it, ran it, my Radeon 7970 began a GPU reset loop or something like that.. To go out of it, I got to login in ssh and issue a Reboot command.

If only they could follow the OpenGL specification for there OpenGL version...

Comment

or ctrl+alt+F2 - F7

runs ok with my GTX770 might go for a GTX 1070.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

Fury X is similar, Vega would be equivalent. But what about Intel? There is nothing similar, not even by an order of magnitude.
        Actually they do clarify requirements a bit here: http://www.x-plane.com/kb/x-plane-11...-requirements/
        Though I still don't see how that "HD4000 or newer recommended" isn't misplaced, looking at the recommended cards from AMD or Nvidia.

And seeing how the requirements are mentioning DX11/12, it's pretty clear what's the primary target OS.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
          Think about it this way: if it ran perfectly fine on today's mid-range hardware, tomorrow's high-end would be woefully underutilized.
          While true in some sense, their extreme hardware requirements might also be a clue that they are actually under-utilizing the hardware as it is. It might be wasting lots of memory or spending most of its time waiting (slow memory access, inefficient cache handling). Writing games that require lots of state-of-the-art hardware isn't hard, cramming it onto less performant hardware without the user noticing any graphics degradations is the hard part.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post

While true in some sense, their extreme hardware requirements might also be a clue that they are actually under-utilizing the hardware as it is. It might be wasting lots of memory or spending most of its time waiting (slow memory access, inefficient cache handling). Writing games that require lots of state-of-the-art hardware isn't hard, cramming it onto less performant hardware without the user noticing any graphics degradations is the hard part.
            It might be a clue towards what you say, but this is a flight sim. There are known to be severely punishing for hardware, so I'm going to give these guys the benefit of the doubt.
            And I hope we're not resurrecting the issue of how complex this type on engine really is, the topic is covered in the previous X-Plane thread, here on Phoronix.

Comment

Yep... AFAIK our first application of multi-GPU rendering was for commercial flight sims.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                It might be a clue towards what you say, but this is a flight sim. There are known to be severely punishing for hardware, so I'm going to give these guys the benefit of the doubt.
                And I hope we're not resurrecting the issue of how complex this type on engine really is, the topic is covered in the previous X-Plane thread, here on Phoronix.
                True, flight sims used to be the "ultimate hardware-hungry games" back in the day. I have no insight into how X-Plane is done, and I haven't been a part of those discussions, so I'm ready to admit my lack of knowledge I've never actually never seen it "in action".
                My initial thought though, was the need for continually (seamlessly) streaming terrain onto the graphics card and the scene, just like Just Cause, or some other huge sandbox game.

Comment

I have installed the demo and i get around 47 FPS with some clouds and 70+ FPS by clear time. With "high" setting but zero antialiasing. On a 4770k at 4.2 Ghz, 16 gigs of RAM and a 970.

I have been told the addons like Ortho4XP, which gives better textures for free are python ones so they should work on linux. Someone already tested Ortho4XP on xplane 11.

Comment

Huh !? It seems i cannot edit ?

Well, i forgot to mention: Use the demo installer in command line. On my xubuntu rig he told me some libs were missing. I simply installed them with synaptic and i was able to run it.

Comment

After this change it start to work(render first frame and then i got gpu hang on hd 7970)

Code:
                      diff -u ./Resources/shaders/tone_mapor.glsl ./Resources/shaders/tone_map.glsl  
                      --- ./Resources/shaders/tone_mapor.glsl 2016-10-26 21:42:54.000000000 +0300
                      +++ ./Resources/shaders/tone_map.glsl   2016-11-28 18:18:51.657549400 +0200
                      @@ -114,7 +114,7 @@
                             float amp = (overall_color);
                             float amp_lim = clamp(amp,u_tonemap_gain.y,u_tonemap_gain.z);
                             float total_gain = u_tonemap_gain.x / amp_lim;
                      -       v_tonemap_gain = total_gain;
                      +       v_tonemap_gain = 1.0;

#if WANT_LIGHTMETER
                                     amp_meter = vec2(amp,amp_lim);
                      @@ -148,7 +148,7 @@

void   tone_map(inout vec3 rgb)
                      {
                      -       tone_map_uncharted(rgb, v_tonemap_gain);
                      +       tone_map_uncharted(rgb, 1.0);

// And now...Alex's epic equation. v_tonemap_gain is a gain
                             // ratio (e.g. 1.0 is unity) and bias is a fixed constant
                      @@ -164,7 +164,7 @@

if(v_texcoord0.t < 0.05)
                                     {
                      -                       float total_gain_log = log2(v_tonemap_gain);
                      +                       float total_gain_log = log2(1.0);
                                             float amp_percent = (total_gain_log / 16.0) + 0.5;
                                             float pixel_pos = v_texcoord0.s;
                                             if(amp_percent < 0.5)

Comment

Working...
                      X