AMDGPU-PRO 16.40 Tests On Deus Ex: Mankind Divided With Ubuntu 16.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Truly wonderful the mind of a fanboy is.
    You do realize radeonsi is playing catch-up to AMDGPU-PRO and in turn AMDGPU-PRO is the same turd that could catch up to Nvidia in over decade? I'm not saying that's not gonna change, but right now, you're looking at the exact, old driver's performance.
    the radeonSI results above are just so bad because they used llvm-git which has a regression... Michael : you have to redo those too with stable llvm. Maybe use opensuse tumbleweed if ubuntu does not have a stable-graphics-ppa :P B:

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
      What could be the bottleneck on AMD's driver or what is that nvidia driver is doing to achieve a better perf?

It is clear on the 4K resolution that AMD's GPU can go further as the R9 Fury is achieving a similar perf as GTX 980
      Nvida has a better static scheduler for fewer task queues, like OpenGL and D3D<12. It's blazing fast and can take advantage of multithreading. GCN is more complex to feed because have a more advanced partitioning and can really parallelize every type of task. Nvidia's architecture is the best you can achieve for the high level APIs like AMD vliw was in 2008-2011 (very high performance per transistor) while GCN rules on low level APIs where you can feed GPU properly.
      I think next nvidia gen will have more similarities with AMD architectures and maybe AMD will get more geometry power with Vega o the next gen.

Comment

Earlier this month when Feral released Deus Ex: Mankind Divided for Linux, the game wasn't launching with AMDGPU-PRO during my testing on Ubuntu 16.10. The game didn't start at all and would crash immediately -- unlike the NVIDIA binary driver on the same system or when ultimately running AMDGPU+RadeonSI tests for this game. Under Ubuntu 16.04 with AMDGPU-PRO 16.40, I've now got the game running.
        Yeah, where it works it works ... here on Bonaire:

Comment

He, he, but Dota 2 Vulkan seems slowish there even on that video, bridgman somethig really regressed in 16.40 there with VK

Or some game update regressed it, quite possible even that

Comment

Are you talking about 16.40 on 4.8.4 kernel (last Phoronix tests) where the kernel driver install failed (at least in our tests) and performance regressed significantly (in line with Michael's results) ?

Don't think I remember seeing any regression reports when installing 16.40 drivers on a stock 16.04 distro.
            Test signature

Comment

Well, i guess that was stock... i am talking about this linux only VK slowness that PR see

Comment

Please, there is no sense in testing 4k when the fastest cards barely can't even hit 30 fps. Test higher settings in fhd instead, this also is what more people actually use.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Too bad no one ever bothered providing a bisection so the problem could get fixed.
                  I was thinking of tipping Michael, so he would think it was worth doing it.

Comment

These results are not too bad for AMDGPU-PRO? I mean a R9 Fury is on part with a 980GTX no? its only the FuryX that matches a 980ti? Shame about the oss

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
                      What could be the bottleneck on AMD's driver or what is that nvidia driver is doing to achieve a better perf?

It is clear on the 4K resolution that AMD's GPU can go further as the R9 Fury is achieving a similar perf as GTX 980
                      My take is that it's because Nvidia's driver is multi-threaded.

Comment

Working...
                      X