Total War: WARHAMMER Linux Requirements Announced - AMD & NVIDIA GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    No, your just a dumbass that clearly doesn't understand the whole concept of release distribution. It takes time for supported releases to propagate and then there are so many distro's that propagation varies dramatically between them. As such it makes perfect sense that Arch and Genteoo are most often the best gaming distributions. Duh. Obvious.
    No, I'm saying that you're always forced to choose between stability+staleness vs not-so-stability+bleeding-edge.

There is no middle ground without using hacks and third party repositories, nor compartimentalization without making a full VM with GPU passthrough (and at this point I'd rather have a Windows VM for gaming).

What I think is very wrong is how people think AMD can somehow manifest time itself... Idiot.
    please explain better this part.

Comment

Originally posted by theghost View Post

Let's begin with the installer. It was unable to create an encrypted partition layout where /home uses the rest of the maximum space available. With the result that you have to resize home after installation or mess with your partition layout manually (which I usually don't want).
      After I solved that, I noticed that no network manager was available. Also I found the handling of repositories very counterintuitive even though it might can be done via YAST.
      Btw, YAST looks alien in every DE. Why didn't Suse ported YAST to Qt when they rewrote it. Lastly getting Steam to run was also a bit messy (due to Steam's nature).
      Maybe I was unlucky and hit a bad snapshot of it.
      - donĀ“t know about encryption stuff
      - network manager is only activated on laptops, desktops get wicked - you can easily switch if you want in Yast > network
      - what is counterintuitive with the repos??? same as ppas. Workflow: yast, repos, add, name it, paste url, ok, done. Or "sudo zypper ar name url"
      - yast frontend is qt. backend is ruby
      - again: steam is fine here

yeah, try another snapshot maybe. Rolling means you sometimes get unlucky and also you have to read the mailing list to look out for the "monthly glitch". But the good thing is: the same error almost never re-appears, because they add test-cases in openQA.

Comment

Originally posted by PackRat View Post

I first tried to sudo zypper dup to 42.2 and it did, but when i restarted it did not showed 42.1 and old kernel (In retrospect i should of read the instructions).
        Then I su zypper dup followed instructions for repos. I used su cause jack wallen of techrepulic used I thought that was my mistake the first time ,but i think i made it worse. Steam did work after upgrade some games would not launch so i uninstalled nouveau thinking opensuse was crazy for having nvidia on a radeon system.
        I have punished this system for a while so i used a snapshot to boot. Backed up most the stuff i had on another hd and and did a fresh install of tumbleweed and followed instructions. With the fresh install steam did not work at all. I'm guessing maybe mesa and steam share a library and some how steam worked with the old library.

I'm running tumbleweed not sure how steamtricks for leap will help. I'll try it and see what happens lol.

I think people don't like opensuse cause i heard they go out of there way to compile apps so it's not compatible with codecs.Also because of patterns.Small community...
        scroll down - there is a steamtricks for tumbleweed. NEVER mix repost from different versions!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post

- donĀ“t know about encryption stuff
          - network manager is only activated on laptops, desktops get wicked - you can easily switch if you want in Yast > network
          - what is counterintuitive with the repos??? same as ppas. Workflow: yast, repos, add, name it, paste url, ok, done. Or "sudo zypper ar name url"
          - yast frontend is qt. backend is ruby
          - again: steam is fine here

yeah, try another snapshot maybe. Rolling means you sometimes get unlucky and also you have to read the mailing list to look out for the "monthly glitch". But the good thing is: the same error almost never re-appears, because they add test-cases in openQA.
          Well, the installer offers encryptions as valid option. Had this issue on several Tumbleweed snapshots. I also read that it's not properly working on Leap.
          Just said that in terms of usability it's not good that you deliver a DE where the network manager missing.
          Regarding repos I don't like the fact that I must activate plenty of repos to get my software.
          For yast, maybe they should deliver the proper theme by default.
          Again, steam was not fine here.
          Maybe it's fixed now, maybe not. I don't care anymore. I am happy with Arch.

But Suse is making it right. Build a lot of automated QA for rolling and release it once it passes. With this way they will have a solid rolling distro in the future (once the rough edges are fixed) and a good base for Leap.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            No, I'm saying that you're always forced to choose between stability+staleness vs not-so-stability+bleeding-edge.

There is no middle ground without using hacks and third party repositories, nor compartimentalization without making a full VM with GPU passthrough (and at this point I'd rather have a Windows VM for gaming).

please explain better this part.
            You do realize that as a measuring bar for staleness, Windows would be a tower next slivers on a bar graph right?

and do I really have to explain that it takes actual time for release propagation? Really?

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
              You do realize that as a measuring bar for staleness, Windows would be a tower next slivers on a bar graph right?
              Nope, stop being a little troll.

Windows itself does jackashit, all hardware is run by third party drivers that are updated whenever the fuck the third parties want.

So while some drivers are VERY stale some others are very fresh.

This has its good and its bad sides, and it's not a solution for Linux's problems (it would be only propagating the same Windows issues on Linux too).

and do I really have to explain that it takes actual time for release propagation? Really?
              Please explain how this sentence is related with
              (copy-pasting verbatim from above)
              "What I think is very wrong is how people think AMD can somehow manifest time itself... Idiot. "

Dafuq means "manifesting time itself"? Maybe a typo or an autocorrect, but that makes 0 sense.

Comment

Nope, stop being a little troll.

Windows itself does jackashit, all hardware is run by third party drivers that are updated whenever the fuck the third parties want.

So while some drivers are VERY stale some others are very fresh.

This has its good and its bad sides, and it's not a solution for Linux's problems (it would be only propagating the same Windows issues on Linux too).

Please explain how this sentence is related with
                (copy-pasting verbatim from above)
                "What I think is very wrong is how people think AMD can somehow manifest time itself... Idiot. "

Dafuq means "manifesting time itself"? Maybe a typo or an autocorrect, but that makes 0 sense.
                Ok, so where the git at? Can I look at statistics per commit, per hour, per day? Sorry, but that level only happens in open source. MS can't compete with their current model. It's the whole reason they've taken up their most recent EEE campaign on linux.

You can't expect that Debian stable will get the same releases at the same time as Fedora, and even Arch or Gentoo. At least not at the same time. And that's what I mean, it takes actual time and AMD can't just summon time out of thin air to make everyone's distribution support exactly the same version configurations at exactly the same time. It's stupid as hell to expect that and then to count that as negative because it doesn't happen.

Comment

Originally posted by theghost View Post

As I welcome your decision to go the rolling way, I found OpenSuse Tumbleweed very unfriendly regarding usability. I would recommend you to give Manjaro a try, as it offers a lot of good configuration user interfaces, is a bit more conservative in rolling out packages and offers steam by default, maybe it's a better solution for a Linux "newb". It's also an Arch derivative, so you can use it's great wiki as help.
                  Manjaro installs fglrx driver during installation and 4.4 kernel. I was already using the same fglrx with leap that does work with steam. The feral interactive ports require
                  Mesa to work and not fglrx. Newer Mesa is incompatible with steam. Valve needs to fix steam client. Anyway broke Manjaro uninstalling fglrx and switching to 4.8 kernel.
                  Back to opensuse tumbleweed now. I guess valve does not want my money.

Comment

Then please don't post bullshit like this while taking a wild shot in the dark. OpenSUSE has GUIs for most things (see YaST), a rather lively AUR-equivalent (the Opensuse Build Service) with one-click guided installation of stuff and overall is great for newbies.
                    REALLY sorry about this. For whatever reason, I got confused between OpenSUSE and Gentoo. You are right, that post was bullshit.

PackRat : Steam works fine with the latest mesa. However, if this one has been compiled and linked against newer libraries than those shipped as part of the steam runtime, you will have some problems, and need to remove or disable this runtime. There are multiple ways to do this; it's pretty simple and documented all over the net

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post

REALLY sorry about this. For whatever reason, I got confused between OpenSUSE and Gentoo. You are right, that post was bullshit.

PackRat : Steam works fine with the latest mesa. However, if this one has been compiled and linked against newer libraries than those shipped as part of the steam runtime, you will have some problems, and need to remove or disable this runtime. There are multiple ways to do this; it's pretty simple and documented all over the net
                      No worries.
                      I reinstalled tumbleweed and steam is working now. The amdgpu driver has mesa 13 with opengl 3. I confused radeonsi for Southern Islands (radeon 7970/280x tahiti) when it is for Sea Islands (radeon fury fiji). Manjaro does seem like a cool distro and i will consider it for future use.

Comment

Working...
                      X