Total War: WARHAMMER Linux Requirements Announced - AMD & NVIDIA GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by theghost View Post

An outdated distro in my mind is a distro which keeps packages outdated for the pretended sake of stability.
    If next Fedora's mesa is outdated, not my problem, if the user's can live with it...
    Ok, clearly you have never had to support anything on Linux, so let's just leave it at that.

Sure they haven't tested it...
    That's why it is listed in requirements.
    Maybe they contributed fixes to mesa which are contained in Mesa 13.x. Maybe not.
    It will have it's reason they demand for 13.x.
    I'm sure they've tested with pre-released Mesa 13, but you said they tested with "latest stable". Which would imply they've tested with Mesa 12 and ended up recommending Mesa 13.

Comment

First everybody cries that Feral only supports Nvidia.
      Now everybody cries that Feral supports AMDs open source driver and not the closed one.
      Back in the days everybody was happy when a publisher worked in the open and contributed to open drivers.
      Right. Stop crying.
      "Everybody" here seems to be a long shot from what's actually said, especially with the first "let it die" comment. Of course, there are some broken workflows now. But the whining seems pretty small, and reluctant. PRO has its uses, but not necessarily gaming.

Originally posted by PackRat View Post
      I'm a linux newb. Switching cause I don't like the direction microsoft is going. I was using opensuse leap kde with fglrx for about 6 months. Half the steam games would work with fglrx the others are only supported with amd opensource driver. Decided to upgrade to tumbleweed had problems and broke it(uninstalled a nouveaudriver that mesa was using oops..wtf nouveau is for nvidia.). Fresh install tumbleweed kde mesa 13.0.1-147.1 and steam is incompatible. Steam does not launch.
      I have 2 280x gpu's that are useless... Can't even use opencl with blender or sidfx houdini apprentice . I'm not an advanced user by any means with windows or linux. I compliled unreal engine 4 on linux via git by following instructions and I'll have to do it again. Linux growing pains...
      I am sorry you had to experience it the hard way. Maybe opensuse isn't the best for an introduction to Linux. Can't say for sure, I haven't tried it myself. I started out with Slackware a few years ago, then went with Arch when I grew tired of manually solving my dependencies (though I learned a great deal this way).
      Long story short, *sounds like* you are experiencing some problems with the steam runtime. The best solution is to disable it, and provide your native libraries. You generally have less problems this way. On Arch you have the steam-native package; what works otherwise is to delete/disable the steam runtime with the environment variable ( STEAM_RUNTIME=0 or something alike), then installing your own. The arch package might be a good list of packages to install. The only problem I had recently was with Alien:Isolation and some perl regexp library, for which I had to create a symlink to another version.

Comment

Originally posted by Pontostroy View Post
        I'm tired of telling people that there is no need to install mesa-git\llvm-git to stable system with fear to break it, just run steam or games in docker container with all from git included, there is no overhead, and you can have lastes mesa stack in any distribution, even on old Cent OS or debian(for polaris you naturally need a new kernel).
        Never really managed to get that thing working (especially audio) with current images, and I don't feel like making it myself.

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
          Maybe opensuse isn't the best for an introduction to Linux. Can't say for sure, I haven't tried it myself.
          Then please don't post bullshit like this while taking a wild shot in the dark. OpenSUSE has GUIs for most things (see YaST), a rather lively AUR-equivalent (the Opensuse Build Service) with one-click guided installation of stuff and overall is great for newbies.

Here the issue is that Steam is the usual garbage and does not like rolling release distros so it has to be hacked. tomtomme user had posted his hacks somewhere in this forum but tumbleweed is a moving target.

I'm on OpenSUSE Leap 42.2 (the stable version) and Steam runs fine, of course in here Mesa is like 11.something so it's probably not good for gaming.

This mesa issues are getting ridiculous. There is something VERY wrong in linux if the best distro for gaming with open drivers is Gentoo/Arch. VERY wrong.

/just saying

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
            To be honest Gentoo lacks the "bleeding edge but stable" flavor of Archlinux. If you want latest stable version of your software you either get an unstable system (~amd64) or you will have to manually unmask everything you need. Gentoo really takes too much to move packages from ~amd64 to stable, especially minor updates like mesa 12.0.3. On the contrary Arch has a similar system for major versions of important software (kernel, mesa, kde, etc..) which ensures a stable system, but they also immediately mark as stable minor updates like point versions. It would be nice to have a similar policy in Gentoo.
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Not really.

That basically means there's literally no distro that supports AMD today. The only way to get AMD cards working is to build Mesa yourself.
              Must be an ubuntu fanboy. Any rolling distro supports them.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                I'm on OpenSUSE Leap 42.2 (the stable version) and Steam runs fine, of course in here Mesa is like 11.something so it's probably not good for gaming.

This mesa issues are getting ridiculous. There is something VERY wrong in linux if the best distro for gaming with open drivers is Gentoo/Arch. VERY wrong.

/just saying
                So why don't you enable

X11:XOrg (maybe Kernel:stable, too)

then?

It offer all you need for latest AMD 'experience'.
                Ask pontostroy if you like, too...;-)))

I'm with (and more) S.u.S.E (the 'old' starting term) for over 23 years, now.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  Not sure if it's "very wrong" or just time for another evolutionary jump. Traditionally all of the big jumps in HW support and functionality were in out-of-tree closed-source drivers while upstream drivers moved relatively slowly, but in the last couple of years that has turned around... so a couple of months upstream-to-distro plus every-six-month release cycle plus a few months from fast-moving to enterprise/LTS is too slow for desktop users.

That seems like great news, question is whether distros+HWvendors can respond (I don't think sticking this on Feral is the right answer, despite shoot-the-messenger being a popular game in many otherwise-civilised countries). Neither vendor-only nor distro-only is going to work, we need something that >1 vendor and >1 distro buy into.
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Not sure if it's "very wrong" or just time for another evolutionary jump. Traditionally all of the big jumps in HW support and functionality were in out-of-tree closed-source drivers while upstream drivers moved relatively slowly, but in the last couple of years that has turned around... so a couple of months upstream-to-distro plus every-six-month release cycle plus a few months from fast-moving to enterprise/LTS is too slow for desktop users.

That seems like great news, question is whether distros+HWvendors can respond (I don't think sticking this on Feral is the right answer, despite shoot-the-messenger being a popular game in many otherwise-civilised countries). Neither vendor-only nor distro-only is going to work, we need something that >1 vendor and >1 distro buy into.
                    Distros just don't care about gamers right now. They're a niche, and something they'd like to make work if possible and it all fits in with everything else they're already doing, but not something they're willing to put any effort into.

Which, if I'm maintaining a distro, probably makes a lot of sense.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post

Interesting. In what way? Maybe I followed suse too long, to see its flaws.
                      Let's begin with the installer. It was unable to create an encrypted partition layout where /home uses the rest of the maximum space available. With the result that you have to resize home after installation or mess with your partition layout manually (which I usually don't want).
                      After I solved that, I noticed that no network manager was available. Also I found the handling of repositories very counterintuitive even though it might can be done via YAST.
                      Btw, YAST looks alien in every DE. Why didn't Suse ported YAST to Qt when they rewrote it. Lastly getting Steam to run was also a bit messy (due to Steam's nature).
                      Maybe I was unlucky and hit a bad snapshot of it.

Comment

Working...
                      X