Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Termy View Post

That's the good thing with RR
    Totally happy with manjaro in this regard, always up to date and no issues.
    With Kubuntu/Padoka i had some hickups now and again - nothing serious but having it rock solid is still a better feeling
    Yeah, well, I bet if you were a company trying to offer customer support, your feeling towards rolling releases would be quite different

Comment

I'm a linux newb. Switching cause I don't like the direction microsoft is going. I was using opensuse leap kde with fglrx for about 6 months. Half the steam games would work with fglrx the others are only supported with amd opensource driver. Decided to upgrade to tumbleweed had problems and broke it(uninstalled a nouveaudriver that mesa was using oops..wtf nouveau is for nvidia.). Fresh install tumbleweed kde mesa 13.0.1-147.1 and steam is incompatible. Steam does not launch.
      I have 2 280x gpu's that are useless... Can't even use opencl with blender or sidfx houdini apprentice . I'm not an advanced user by any means with windows or linux. I compliled unreal engine 4 on linux via git by following instructions and I'll have to do it again. Linux growing pains...

Comment

Originally posted by PackRat View Post
        I'm a linux newb. Switching cause I don't like the direction microsoft is going. I was using opensuse leap kde with fglrx for about 6 months. Half the steam games would work with fglrx the others are only supported with amd opensource driver. Decided to upgrade to tumbleweed had problems and broke it(uninstalled a nouveaudriver that mesa was using oops..wtf nouveau is for nvidia.). Fresh install tumbleweed kde mesa 13.0.1-147.1 and steam is incompatible. Steam does not launch.
        I have 2 280x gpu's that are useless... Can't even use opencl with blender or sidfx houdini apprentice . I'm not an advanced user by any means with windows or linux. I compliled unreal engine 4 on linux via git by following instructions and I'll have to do it again. Linux growing pains...
        As I welcome your decision to go the rolling way, I found OpenSuse Tumbleweed very unfriendly regarding usability. I would recommend you to give Manjaro a try, as it offers a lot of good configuration user interfaces, is a bit more conservative in rolling out packages and offers steam by default, maybe it's a better solution for a Linux "newb". It's also an Arch derivative, so you can use it's great wiki as help.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

What do you mean "outdated distro"? Fedora 25 launches tomorrow and it doesn't have Mesa 13. What's an up-to-date distro in your opinion?
          Mesa 13 has only been stable for three weeks.
          An outdated distro in my mind is a distro which keeps packages outdated for the pretended sake of stability.
          If next Fedora's mesa is outdated, not my problem, if the user's can live with it...

Mesa 13 has only been stable for three weeks. So Feral certainly hasn't tested "with the latest stable version".
          Sure they haven't tested it...
          That's why it is listed in requirements.
          Maybe they contributed fixes to mesa which are contained in Mesa 13.x. Maybe not.
          It will have it's reason they demand for 13.x.

Comment

Really nice to see Feral officially supporting AMD cards with mesa!
            Hopefully that means that official support for Deux Ex MD will come soon too

Comment

[QUOTE=theghost;n912923]

" I would recommend you to give Manjaro a try"

I have been thinking about it. Opensuse has snapper for rollbacks helps when i break things. My bro gave me his computer i'll probably give it one of those radeon 280x
              and give Manjaro a spin. I'll try and get snapper working with Manjaro but i doubt it will work as good as opensuse. Arch wiki is great.

Comment

Originally posted by PackRat View Post
                did you "sudo zypper dup" to upgrade and did you change all your repos?
                do you use exotic repos? Post your list, maybe I can help "sudo zypper lr"

I have no problems running steam on tumbleweed whatsoever. just played cities skylines @4k.
                One amd fury x gpu and one a8-7600 apu system.
                True, there were days when steam did not work on tumbleweed (I use it since it started like 3 years ago). But the community is fast to fix the probs and you know if they are already working on it, if you follow the factory mailing list.

Maybe try this package: https://software.opensuse.org/package/steamtricks
                but I donĀ“t have this.

Comment

Originally posted by theghost View Post

As I welcome your decision to go the rolling way, I found OpenSuse Tumbleweed very unfriendly regarding usability.
                  Interesting. In what way? Maybe I followed suse too long, to see its flaws.

Comment

Yeah, well, I bet if you were a company trying to offer customer support, your feeling towards rolling releases would be quite different
                    sure, but i'm talking about my point of view as a private individual
                    and from ferals standpoint i think it should not make too much of a difference compared to non-RR distros used with some kind of mesa-git repo and the like ^^
                    anyhow, i'm happy to see that feral doesn't fall in the old "nvidia-only"-BS completely ^^

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post

did you "sudo zypper dup" to upgrade and did you change all your repos?
                      I first tried to sudo zypper dup to 42.2 and it did, but when i restarted it did not showed 42.1 and old kernel (In retrospect i should of read the instructions).
                      Then I su zypper dup followed instructions for repos. I used su cause jack wallen of techrepulic used I thought that was my mistake the first time ,but i think i made it worse. Steam did work after upgrade some games would not launch so i uninstalled nouveau thinking opensuse was crazy for having nvidia on a radeon system.
                      I have punished this system for a while so i used a snapshot to boot. Backed up most the stuff i had on another hd and and did a fresh install of tumbleweed and followed instructions. With the fresh install steam did not work at all. I'm guessing maybe mesa and steam share a library and some how steam worked with the old library.

I'm running tumbleweed not sure how steamtricks for leap will help. I'll try it and see what happens lol.

I think people don't like opensuse cause i heard they go out of there way to compile apps so it's not compatible with codecs.Also because of patterns.Small community...

Comment

Working...
                      X