Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feral Joins The Bandwagon Of Wanting Newer Mesa On Ubuntu

Phoronix: Feral Joins The Bandwagon Of Wanting Newer Mesa On Ubuntu

With Mesa drivers this year really improving a lot and reaching OpenGL ~4.5 compatibility for most drivers as well as the Intel and RADV Vulkan drivers getting into shape, they are becoming usable for day-to-day Linux gamers. While not all new Feral Linux game releases work with the Mesa drivers, a growing number of their games work well on Mesa 13.0+, and as such they are hoping Ubuntu will adopt a policy of making it easier to switch to newer Mesa releases...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

They have a fair point. Nothing sucks more than having an outdated mesa version.
    In the past, when I used Ubuntu, I told it the developers several times but always ended up compiling mesa myself.
    Not every user can compile it and mesa-git is unstable.
    Maybe Feral has more success in convincing Canonical.

If not, well, we will have users migrating to [your favourite rolling distro of choice].

Comment

This is a fantastic proposal! I am personally hesitant to use Oibaf or Padoka due to the unstableness experienced with these.
      However when Mesa makes a release it has been through some QA and can be considered stable (and supported as such). I don't need weekly or monthly unstable updates. However I would like to have stable Mesa updates on Ubuntu.

Now I have to go find and support the bug in Launchpad :-)

Comment

Ehh what kind of sad excuse of mailing list is that? Three messages in this month and four in the last month...

Comment

Not a simple task : Mesa (radeon and LLVMPipe) depends on LLVM. LLVM is also a reverse dependency of Rust, KDEvelop, qtcreator, clang, libclc. And that's only what I found in one command on my Gentoo system... Updating one means potential issues with the other.
          I do hope this effort will bear fruit! Good luck to them

Comment

Wonder if we will see Feral (& Valve and others) pushing for more rolling-release style releases for distros, or at least specific components on distros. Obviously this wouldn't apply to RHEL and Debian.
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Veto View Post
              This is a fantastic proposal! I am personally hesitant to use Oibaf or Padoka due to the unstableness experienced with these.
              We would welcome you to Manjaro Testing (: Stable enough for daily use, latest stable-software included, steam enabled and with developers who support users instead of ignoring them

Comment

Originally posted by tuke81 View Post
                Ehh what kind of sad excuse of mailing list is that? Three messages in this month and four in the last month...
                According to the other 7 threads, this one won't get an answer too.

Comment

This would actually be a great use-case for snaps due to all the dependencies affected by updating LLVM. I'd say it would also be quite the "Trial by fire" for snaps.
                  On second thought I'm not sure snaps could solve this issue. I understand snaps when used to run some binary, but can they also be used to package and distribute libs like mesa? And how could one easily switch to it? It would probably require some dpkg and snaps integration...

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
                    Not a simple task : Mesa (radeon and LLVMPipe) depends on LLVM. LLVM is also a reverse dependency of Rust, KDEvelop, qtcreator, clang, libclc. And that's only what I found in one command on my Gentoo system... Updating one means potential issues with the other.
                    I do hope this effort will bear fruit! Good luck to them
                    There is nothing stopping them having more than one version of LLVM installed, or simply compiling mesa statically with the newer version of LLVM and distributing that

Comment

Working...
                    X