Feral Releasing Total War: WARHAMMER For Linux Next Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    what is the point of it being vulkan without vulkan driver?
    First of all, they always support only Nvidia blobs where you have Vulkan implementation for half year already. Now you have RADV for opencource AMD users and Vulkan implementation in AMDGPU-PRO driver, and ANV driver for Intel users so I see a handful of Vulkan drivers and they are the only way to let Linux ports reduce the distance to the Windows versions in terms of performance.

Comment

Originally posted by faldzip View Post
      First of all, they always support only Nvidia blobs where you have Vulkan implementation for half year already.
      why should i care about windows driver for hardware from most linux-hostile vendor?
      Now you have RADV
      it does not work(yet?)
      Vulkan implementation in AMDGPU-PRO driver
      not open yet
      and ANV driver
      is it a joke?

Comment

So why do you care about this game port at all? There is 99% chance it is going to be supported only for Nvidia blob users and on anything else the bad performance or faulty rendering makes it unplayable on the hardware worse than enthusiast-level. So I see that it makes not much difference for you if it is OpenGL or Vulkan port.

Comment

Yay! Another linux port. Not vulkan, but still very nice.

Comment

Aaaaand would that be on Vulkan or another OpenGL crap-port?
            Maybe you can start making games with vulkan support only so we can play them all day long

Great to see more ports! I've completed Witcher 2 (very bad at the time of release), Bioshock Infinite and Shadow of Mordor. I come from time to time and play them again to see how they have improved and they improved a lot from the first time they were released.
            Thankfully I have GTX 970 so their "blob" is suiting me nicely. Deus Ex Mankind Divided should be next on the list.

Comment

The cheapest and best upgrade to make your Linux game run a lot better is to buy... Windows.
              Yes troll.
              You could buy a PS4 or XB1 too.

Comment

Well as a warhammer fan this is really great to hear. Hope I can play this on a next gen AMD card when I can finally have a real gaming PC.

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post
                  Yes troll.
                  Everyone with different view than yours is a troll?
                  Originally posted by Passso
                  You could buy a PS4 or XB1 too.
                  That would be much better choice than Linux. Consoles hardware is squeezed to the last single streaming processor and can deliver performance which you can't match on a PC with similar hardware on Windows (all thanks to low-level low-overhead APIs similar to DX12 and Vulkan on PC) which is exact opposite from Linux where 50% of the processing power is wasted. On Linux you get 50-70% of the Windows PC performance and while Windows players complain about low FPS compared to visuals you are happy with much worse performance and same poor visuals. Summarizing:

Make crap -> people complain
                  Make utter crap but put a Linux sticker on it -> people are happy

I am a fan of quality, not quantity, so I don't care if we get 2 linux ports per month or per year. I just want them to work at least at 90% of the Windows speed and not only on nvidia blob. Performance on some HW is bad - then work closly with driver developers to resolve issues.

It is funny how some guys here compare Windows OpenGL performance to Linux OpenGL performance as you guys might not be informed properly, but no one cares about OpenGL performance on Windows. Even browsers use things like ANGLE which implements OpenGL on top of DirectX while they do not need powerful GPUs. Another funny thing is OpenGL AZDO - it was said that Feral uses this approach in their ports. Nice, but the AZDO thing looks quite funny to me - there is an OpenGL API, but to use it with a decent performance you need tons of extensions that bypass it as much as they can... Hey guys, here is a Vulkan API which is designed from scratch to be as "AZDO" as OpenGL will never be. Just use it.

And someone might call me troll but I don't care. I use Linux in my job, I have 4 PCs at home and only one of them is Windows-only (yes, you guessed it - its my gaming PC) and even my wife who was Windows-only user a couple of years ago now is convincing her parents that Linux is much better for a daily use (except gaming). I am waiting for a day I can wipe off my Windows partition and play my favourite games on Linux but, in my opinion, current Linux ports do not take me any closer to that day.

Comment

And if someone is not convinced why this game needs Vulkan just look at this:
                    DX11: https://www.purepc.pl/karty_graficzn...x_11?page=0,10
                    DX12: https://www.purepc.pl/karty_graficzn...tx_11?page=0,4

and this is with Core [email protected] but you can find there results with less powerful CPUs.
                    Ohh and of course this is the worst, but more real-life scenario then the built-in benchmark.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                      why should i care about windows driver for hardware from most linux-hostile vendor?
                      NVidia is *not* the most Linux hostile vendor. Their drivers are far better and more complete than any other vendor. Without their excellent support I (any probably many others) would have never adopted Linux as my only PC OS along with Android and a Chromebook.

Adobe, Apple, and Microsoft are very Linux hostile vendors. They are trying to keep the genie in the bottle by not releasing their software on Linux at all in any form.

The only reason AMD cares about Linux is because good NV drivers made the market. They have always produced crap drivers, and only recently have they even approached the capability and stability of their competitor.

My Titan XP came with excellent first day support for Linux. As did my GTX 980 Ti, GTX 970, GTX 660, GTX 650Ti, and GTX 9800. AMD took what, 9 months to release support for the RX 290X? Now that's hostile.

Yes I know that Linus once publicly gave NV the finger; he's also publicly praised them for their work with the Jetson TK1 (which only runs Linux BTW). This is posted from my Pixel C running the NV Tegra X1 and the OSS OGL stack. Try that from any AMD powered tablet. Right.
                      Last edited by deppman; 16 November 2016, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X