Crysis/Warhead on wine anybody ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crysis/Warhead on wine anybody ?

How are the performances of Crysis and Crysis warhead on Wine compared to that on windows on a lean linux distro ?
    Would AMD 780G plus Phenom Dual Core be good enough ?

There is only one spot for all Wine related applications, that is appdb.winehq.org. Type in CRYSIS WARHEAD and you're bound to find the answer to your question whether or not it is supposed to run smoothly on your machine. Don't forget this one's very recent (bearing in mind the first installment is no different with Wine; translation: garbage), so the odds for it having a Platinum rating are close to non-existent I'd say.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalheadGautham View Post
      How are the performances of Crysis and Crysis warhead on Wine compared to that on windows on a lean linux distro ?
      Would AMD 780G plus Phenom Dual Core be good enough ?

The 780G doesn't have enough balls to run Crysis effectively under the best of circumstances. You can expect framerates of about 12fps @ 1024x768 with the lowest detail settings.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        The 780G doesn't have enough balls to run Crysis effectively under the best of circumstances. You can expect framerates of about 12fps @ 1024x768 with the lowest detail settings.
        Second to that. His question makes people who buy GTX280, 4870X2 look like idiots.

If 780G is enough, why do they spend $600 for a GFX card?
        Last edited by FunkyRider; 24 September 2008, 01:01 AM.

Comment

Well, about the 780G, its supposed to have HD3200 graphics, right ?

I hoped that when several people claim running crysis at 22fps very low settings at 800x600 on GMA X3100 with windows vista, hopefully 780G can play crysis on linux.

Comment

The problem isn't with the performance right now; I have the Crysis Demo installed in wine, and it runs 20-30 fps on low with my 8800 GT. Of course that's horrible compared to windows, but still playable. The real problem is, that there's LOTS of graphics corruption. Lots. It had even worse corruption earlier, but even though some of it has been fixed, it's still horrible. And you need to patch wine to get mouse working. But even with it working, because of all the corruption it's not really enjoyable.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalheadGautham View Post
              Well, about the 780G, its supposed to have HD3200 graphics, right ?
              An IGP version thereof, yes. Side by side comparisons of the IGP part versus the discrete (either on motherboard or on a PCI-E card) will reveal that you've got a performance degradation by going IGP. You will have decent framerates with it- but at lower resolutions than the discrete, etc.

I hoped that when several people claim running crysis at 22fps very low settings at 800x600 on GMA X3100 with windows vista, hopefully 780G can play crysis on linux.
              WINE's not there yet for that task. I suspect if they sort out all the issues with WINE on the Direct3D front, you might be able to get it to run. WINE, unfortunately, has a long way to go before it gets there. I hate to crush your hopes, but unless you've got a serious GPU (The IGP on your machine isn't it...) and the top of the line fastest CPU setup on your machine, even if they got the graphics right in it right now, you'd need that much to get real framerates because you're dealing with yet another abstraction layer.

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
                Second to that. His question makes people who buy GTX280, 4870X2 look like idiots.

If 780G is enough, why do they spend $600 for a GFX card?
                It's not enough. You have to crank all the settings down to their lowest and have a reasonably fast machine overall to get those framerates with the 780G. Not knocking the 780G, it's marvelous (as long as you're willing to deal with the issues of the proprietary driver...) and it does do IGP wonders. But the IGP doesn't have enough shader pipes, bandwidth, etc. to do much better than usable framerates with half or more of the effects off and 800x600. 1024x768's the low side these days and you can't QUITE do it with these parts under Windows (Forget under WINE right now...).

Comment

Indeed, that reminds me lots of guys who try to run game under a Virtual Machine....

Comment

I think I am going to have to take it as a positive point then. I was hoping for an upgrade to an onboard casual gaming and multimedia system, but right now, I think I will have to stick with my current rig (siggy + 1GB ram) since there isn't anything I can do on a budget to help me game.

On the brighter side, that would allow me more time to learn QT4 and become a better programmer

Comment

Working...
                    X