X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aht0
    replied
    Originally posted by juno View Post

Microsoft uses the api for their xbox too, which has millions of customers. But that's the only reason, apart from being paid by Microsoft to use it (titles they publish themselves like quantum break or forza).
    many games are first and foremost developed for console, then ported to PC, often as an afterthought.. It's like lightning, taking the path of least resistance, using already existing dx code is easier than porting the whole thing over to vulkan.

Leave a comment:

• prazola
    replied
    Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    if it is both, then it is not bound. bound can be only either cpu or gpu
    I mean it depends on the scene. Secret quarters and district market are CPU bound, while cities and main missions are full of GPU bounding scenarios.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by Xen0sys View Post
    For all anyone knows, Nvida is cutting closed door deals with Feral to specifically not support AMD GPU's - definitely something Nvidia would do
    definitely something tinfoil hat wearers will believe
    reality is simple: radeonsi is wip and current ubuntu version is broken with this game

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by johnc View Post
    They probably just don't have the dev resources to test on AMD.
    probably they tested and mesa bugs were fixed, but ubuntu does not ship fixed version yet. well, actually is not just probably, it is how it was

Leave a comment:

• jith_feral
    replied
    Hello, I work for Feral and I'll be popping in to the forums on occasion to answer any questions you have about our games .
    Although we can't provide support for AMD GPUs at the moment, anyone looking to play with an AMD GPU with Mesa may find this post by Edwin from Feral useful: https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gamin...linux/d9jxkz4/

Leave a comment:

• Otus
    replied
    Originally posted by chimpy View Post
    In most cases the game runs just fine on modern AMD GPUs (2GB VRAM+) that can support Mesa 11.2/RadeonSi however some cards and situations can have issues linked to driver issues.
    Hopefully this is also the case with Deus Ex. I will buy it when my new GPU arrives, but if it does not work I will of course request a refund.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
    Wow, indeed, why would anyone use DX12 at all??
    When this round of games started development DX12 was ready to use but Vulkan was "coming soon".

Situation is different now; hopefully API usage in the next round of games (where development started recently) will be different too.
    Last edited by bridgman; 03 November 2016, 03:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• oooverclocker
    replied
    We should look at this from several perspectives. Linux is evolving even more by a stronger desire of people to get rid of Windows. This brings more and more supporters but also simple users. We shouldn't make things that complicated so as long as the Kernel drivers in actual supported releases of distributions are not in a nice condition it might damage the reputation of publishers. It's absolutely reasonable not to take these risks.

If you have the newest Ubuntu version almost any game runs well with an RX 480 etc. Some still have to be launched with specific launch options though and the performance is not perfect yet. The dev drivers of the Padoka PPA are currently really close to the performance of the Windows drivers but they are not as stable as the actual releases. Instead of complaining one should help improving AMDGPU. AMD has opened the interfaces to make the driver implementation suit open source philosophy. If we can reach a well performing level of all Kernel modules so people will never have to care about proprietary drivers it would be a massive advantage and promotion for the Linux desktop.
    When you see how fast AMDGPU has improved over the last months you shouldn't be that impatient

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by dungeon View Post

With that logic opensource driver will never be supported, only in existing and already compiled so binary only form on existing checked out distro version of no choice
    Nope. They can support open source drivers if they want to. But in this particular instance where either they know open source drivers don't work and simply haven't checked, they cannot issue the statement you suggested: "Feral might at least say, opensource "i compile/fix my drivers"tm git users - supported". Because if they said that, people would expect actual support "because feral said it works".

Leave a comment:

• juno
    replied
    Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
    Wow, indeed, why would anyone use DX12 at all?? I mean, for OpenGL vs DX story there were reasons to go with DX, but as for Vulkan vs DX12, AFAIK, there's none, they're very similar.
    Microsoft uses the api for their xbox too, which has millions of customers. But that's the only reason, apart from being paid by Microsoft to use it (titles they publish themselves like quantum break or forza).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X