Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Mesa Is Now Available For Linux Gamers

Phoronix: Black Mesa Is Now Available For Linux Gamers

If you are looking for some Linux gaming this weekend, Black Mesa was recently released in early form for Linux / SteamOS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So, does Black Mesa run well on Mesa?

Comment

Originally posted by tajjada View Post
      I guess should run at Half (Life ) speed, since it uses non nVidia GL but as there is fast enough hardware nowdays probably not much people will complain

Comment

Hehe... Punny. I bought the game awhile back when they promised Linux support. Seen somebody on YouTube playing it on SteamOS. Will have to download it and see how it runs on mesa -.-

Comment

The remake is very impressive, even though I don't mind the 1990s-era graphics.

Comment

Hopefully we'll hear more about Xen soon. Great looking game, bought it yesterday. Haven't had the time to install it yet.

Comment

On the OpenSource (AMDGPU) Kernel driver:

Games runs fine maxed out, in between 150 and 210 FPS. Some drops to 60 when tons of smoke appear.
              Minor stutterings here and there which only happen in the beginning of the game.
              Loadings take a while, just as they do on Windows.
              Just remember to remove "libstdc++.so.6" from the game's BIN directory otherwise it won't launch (might not be necessary on the proprietary drivers)

Hardware:

AMD FX 6300 (OC @4.1 GHz, NBUS OCED as well)
              16 GB HyperX Fury 1935 MHz
              AMD R9 270X Dual-X OC Edition

Software:

Arch Linux
              Mesa-Git
              LLVM-SVN
              Kernel: amd-staging-4.7 (latest drivers as possible from AMD, the same as 4.10-wip)
              Kernel driver: AMDGPU
              OpenGL driver: RadeonSI (mesa)

Comment

Originally posted by Amarildo View Post
                Just remember to remove "libstdc++.so.6" from the game's BIN directory otherwise it won't launch (might not be necessary on the proprietary drivers)
                Is that also necessary if you use steam-native?

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post

Is that also necessary if you use steam-native?
                  It was necessary for me. @Armadillo: Thanks a lot for the tip!

Yes!
                  It runs on my system with current Mesa from the Oibaf PPA with both the Intel integrated graphics (Sandybridge, slow of course) and AMD discrete card (HD6770M, fine performance, similar to Half Life 2). Unfortunately on the AMD card there is a screen flickering bug: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=98494

Comment

Yup, ran Black Mesa on MESA-git with AMD RX 480, 120 FPS capped to my VSync, otherwise ~220 FPS on Ultra, with max AA and max ASF.

Assuming it's installed to the default prefix this does the trick.

mv "~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Black Mesa/bin/libstdc++.so.6" "~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Black Mesa/bin/libstdc++.so.6.bak"

Comment

Working...
                    X