Feral Still Won't Confirm Or Deny Vulkan For Deus Ex On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
    In open source we often want to target as many platforms as possible and make code work on as much as possible. ...
    Really?
    On how many OS platforms besides Linux are e. g. Wayland display servers (open source) working?

Comment

Originally posted by drSeehas View Post
      Please notice that DirectX 12 is only available on Microsoft Windows 10.
      What about Windows 7 and 8.1?
      Windows 7 and 8.1 are already dead. Windows 10 is the future and will consume all. Anyone who works with Windows knows that it's always a matter of time until the new version eats the market of the old one. The only exception to this has ever been the popularity of Linux/MacOS increasing. Noone wants to run unpatched/insecure OSes. Windows 10 is already the future for billions of PCs because Windows 8.1/7 are going to be EoL'd. The Free upgrades to 10 have accelerated the process on the consumer side.

Comment

Originally posted by DMJC View Post
        Windows 7 and 8.1 are already dead.
        LOL. In which world are you living?

... Anyone who works with Windows knows that it's always a matter of time until the new version eats the market of the old one.
        LOL. Windows 8.1 (the new version) never ate the market of Windows 7.

Comment

Originally posted by drSeehas View Post
          LOL. In which world are you living?

LOL. Windows 8.1 (the new version) never ate the market of Windows 7.
          I live in the world where I work for a Fortune 100 as a subcontractor and I work for an SMB provider for mostly Microsoft shops. Windows 7 / 8.1 have just been pulled from OEMs as of today. The forced upgrade cycle is beginning. All corporates I've ever worked with will not keep an OS past the 3 year warranty period. The exception is the really cheap houses that try to keep their systems burning well past the support agreement dates. Yes you can run Windows 7/8.1 using your downgrade rights but good luck doing that once they drop final patch/update support. Windows 10 is the future for most company PCs out there. From jewellery stores to office PCs. Most companies will not change to a different operating system that doesn't run all their existing apps, and most will migrate to updated versions of their software running on Windows 10. The standard practice in this industry is to replace PCs when the manufacturer warranties expire. That's what all the clients running HP/Dell hardware do. The same is true of Windows Server, most clients will be looking to build Windows server 2016 only starting next year.

Comment

Originally posted by DMJC View Post
            I live in the world where I work for a Fortune 100 as a subcontractor and I work for an SMB provider ...
            And these Fortune 100 and SMB are all running Feral Deus Ex or other games for which you need DirectX 12 or Vulkan, which is the topic here?
            No futher reading of your post needed.

Comment

In Germany the commercial usage of Windows 10 Home and Pro seems to be illegal due to privacy issues. I am pretty sure that this is not the only country.
              Windows 10 has currently a market share of about 22.6% while more than two third of all users run older Windows versions according to the numbers of netmarketshare.com. The Steam survey shows about 50% of the Windows users using Windows 10, the other 50% use older versions.
              Either way, using DX12 will hugely cripple the numbers of your customers while Vulkan saves costs and would cover everyone.

Comment

Working...
              X