No announcement yet.

Feral Still Won't Confirm Or Deny Vulkan For Deus Ex On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This may be the first game I buy on Linux without the do-something-good-for-the-linux-market bias. Now MafiaIII or at least MafiaII please!

Comment

When people release multi platform games, there's something that crosses my mind... Why not use the cross platform APIs and be done with it? Id Software does that and they seem to be doing fine. Doom works great in OpenGL and Vulkan, being one of the few games which show the true power of Vulkan.

Us​​​​​e OpenGL for Windows, Mac and Linux. Then, for the low level version, use Vulkan for Windows, Mac (it's available on the Mac, right?) and Linux. There.

Comment

Macs don't support Vulkan, only Apple's proprietary Metal API.

Comment

The thing is, Vulkan is a lot of extra effort for a Linux port. You've got developers who've only just gotten used to using OpenGL writing Linux software and now you're asking them to throw out that knowledge and start again in Vulkan. Meanwhile DirectX 12 is still the king of APIs on Microsoft. Unless Vulkan has direct improvements over DirectX 12, It will remain a feature that's only useful to developers on Linux. Yes Vulkan is great if you're writing your application from the start in it. But if you're porting, then its advantages become less clear. Vulkan hasn't got the wrappers or library support that OpenGL currently has. It wouldn't surprise me if most of the developers starting Linux ports have no idea about the NVIDIA vs AMD performance differences on Linux or about the Open Source/Closed Source driver states.

Comment

Originally posted by andrebrait View Post
            When people release multi platform games, there's something that crosses my mind... Why not use the cross platform APIs and be done with it?
            For the same reason devs use idiotic tech like C# and ASP.NET.

'Cause "muh Microsoft!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post

For the same reason devs use idiotic tech like C# and ASP.NET.

'Cause "muh Microsoft!!!"
              I can understand when you're going to release the thing only for Windows, but if you're going multiplatform, why not just use the Multiplatform APIs instead of using one for each platform? That's what puzzles me. It's like trying to do something multiplatform by programming the GUI in GTK for Linux, Cocoa for Mac and Win32 stuff for Windows when just Qt would do the job just fine (not starting a API/library war here, guys, just used those as an example).

Comment

I guess that's the question - is there a multi-platform API that runs over DX12/Windows, Vulkan/Linux and Metal/MacOS ?

Or even Vulkan/Windows / Vulkan/Linux / Metal/MacOS ?
                Test signature

Comment

Vulkan runs over Vulkan/Windows / Vulkan/Linux and Metal/MacOS by using Molten VK or just ignoring these seperatist tech terrorists. DX12 doesn't even run on WIndows 7.

Comment

So are they porting Windows/dx11 to Linux/Opengl or Windows/dx12 to Linux/Vulkan. Dx12 to Vulkan makes sense since they're very similar.

Comment

Originally posted by andrebrait View Post
                      I can understand when you're going to release the thing only for Windows, but if you're going multiplatform, why not just use the Multiplatform APIs instead of using one for each platform? That's what puzzles me.
                      I think the crux of the problem is that the primary dev company isn't interested in targeting multi-platform. They see XB1, PS4 and what they call "PC" (Windows) and that's about it. Usually by the time they get to "PC" they're putting together a half-crippled mess and ship it as soon as all compile errors are fixed.

Comment

Working...
                      X