Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SDL 2.0.5 Released With Many Improvements

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • SDL 2.0.5 Released With Many Improvements

    Phoronix: SDL 2.0.5 Released With Many Improvements

    SDL 2.0.5 is now available as the latest version of this library used by many cross-platform games and is part of the Steam Runtime. SDL 2.0.5 brings many new features and improvements...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...2.0.5-Released

  • #2
    I would hope to see this get backported to Ubuntu 16.10 "Yakkety Yak".

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      I would hope to see this get backported to Ubuntu 16.10 "Yakkety Yak".
      Why backporting? Is this not a minor 2.0.x release which comes straight from upstream Debian? I see 16.04 already has SDL 2.0.4 from there.

      Comment


      • #4
        Just a thought: How many games are actually using SDL 2.*? My impression was that most games were actually using the old 1.2 release.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
          Just a thought: How many games are actually using SDL 2.*? My impression was that most games were actually using the old 1.2 release.
          Well, SDL 2 is only 3 years old. AAA titles typically take more than that to develop, so...

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
            Just a thought: How many games are actually using SDL 2.*? My impression was that most games were actually using the old 1.2 release.
            Well, Unity3D is using libSDL2, so start figuring from there.

            Comment


            • #7
              While working on my esteam script for Gentoo, I was surprised by how many Steam games do use SDL 2 already. Of the 20 I have installed, these appear to use it:
              • A Boy and His Blob
              • Alien Isolation
              • Half-Life (yes, really!)
              • Half-Life 2
              • Hammerwatch
              • Pix the Cat
              • Portal
              • Rocket League
              • Tomb Raider (2013)
              Also worth mentioning is Trine 2, which uses SDL 1.3.

              Comment


              • #8
                I have tons of games in my library that uses SDL2. I think they have done a really great job getting it widely accepted to where it is now.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by mick3 View Post

                  Why backporting? Is this not a minor 2.0.x release which comes straight from upstream Debian? I see 16.04 already has SDL 2.0.4 from there.
                  2.0.5 includes new features, so they are not using "semantic versioning". When lots of software dynamically links to it, such upgrades have to be made with caution.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Stardew Valley

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X