Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 16.10 Desktop Gaming Benchmarks: Unity, GNOME, Xfce, LXDE, KDE, Openbox, MATE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 16.10 Desktop Gaming Benchmarks: Unity, GNOME, Xfce, LXDE, KDE, Openbox, MATE

Phoronix: Ubuntu 16.10 Desktop Gaming Benchmarks: Unity, GNOME, Xfce, LXDE, KDE, Openbox, MATE

As usual when there's a new Ubuntu Linux, the requests come in for running OpenGL graphics/game benchmarks under the different desktop options. For some Ubuntu 16.10 on Intel Mesa graphics tests are results for GNOME Shell, Xfce, LXDE, KDE Plasma, Openbox, MATE, and Unity running atop X.Org.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Having done my own tests after buying a new GPU, I can confirm that the synthetic GpuTest results are skewed in favor of OpenBox and LXDE because those desktops have no compositing and, by extension, are likely running with vsync off. Of course, as the non-trivial benchmark results show, those synthetic scores don't make real-world complex programs massively faster.

Comment

GBOME
      And a new desktop is born. Michael

Comment

Ha, ha, OpenArena two times - thank you Michael

Tesseract is missing.

Comment

And of course traditionally on average most optimal and trusty is Openbox as always

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
            Having done my own tests after buying a new GPU, I can confirm that the synthetic GpuTest results are skewed in favor of OpenBox and LXDE because those desktops have no compositing and, by extension, are likely running with vsync off. Of course, as the non-trivial benchmark results show, those synthetic scores don't make real-world complex programs massively faster.
            I wonder how KDE performs if you disable compositing.

Comment

I guess the same as when someone disable aero in Windows... composition always slow down things here and there, so rule of thumb is to disable it at least while you gaming.

Comment

Gentoo with -march=native + LXDE is what gives me stable enough FPS to play OpenArena with nouveau
                So yeah, you might consider that set up if you want 10-20 more fps

Comment

The weird part is XFCE and MATE ending up in the bottom most of the time. Even with Compiz/Compton, there shouldn't be a reason for them to be slower than Unity/Compiz, GNOME/Mutter or KDE/KWin.

Comment

XFCE probably still has some bug in their compositor, even Clear Linux disabled it to not show that slowmo in game benchmarks

MATE is all gtk3 for the first time now in 16.10 *buntu, so that might regressed here and there... just a guess.

Comment

Working...
                    X