Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 16.10 Desktop Gaming Benchmarks: Unity, GNOME, Xfce, LXDE, KDE, Openbox, MATE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

i use ubuntu to develop software and server proposes, is only for beginners? or for all type of ppl? gain some brains, xfce is old, don't work well in new machines, unity and gnome are much better (performance, powersaving, etc)) for gaming without composing or vsync you have a lot of tearing and even in videos but ok, stupid ppl and trolls are stupid and trolls
    Wth dude, to this day you don't know that for debianxfce anything that's not Debian of Xfce is either bloated or unnecessary? You show him benchmarks with Xfce trailing, he concludes there's something wrong with the world.
    I'm also happily coding using Kubuntu (and I've been on Fedora+KDE before that), but we're just two guys, what do we know?

Comment

Originally posted by LinAGKar View Post

I wonder how KDE performs if you disable compositing.
      Michael
      yep. as a premium member I also vote for this comparison - but on radeonSI. Please use the Shift+Alt+F12 shortcut, if you do it. Only this disables compositing completely.
      Thx Michael

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Wth dude, to this day you don't know that for debianxfce anything that's not Debian of Xfce is either bloated or unnecessary? You show him benchmarks with Xfce trailing, he concludes there's something wrong with the world.
        I'm also happily coding using Kubuntu (and I've been on Fedora+KDE before that), but we're just two guys, what do we know?
        I came here just to read debianxfce posts lol.

Comment

XFCE is nearly abandoned. latest release was back on 2015 and it wasnt anything special just bugfixing. They dont even follow their roadmaps. Ive been using it many years on my netbook...

Unity 7 is great. Love it. For me if they did redesign Unity Dash it would be among the best UIs for Desktop. Lets see what Unity 8 can offer. Online search results didnt work for sure.

Comment

I can't imagine why openbox is not always at the first place, it should perform faster than any other! (yes, openbox user here)

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

With regard to Xfce, there are performance issues with its compositor as shown by Clear Linux developers previously.
              Oh, I see. Another person mentioned something similar regarding MATE's Marco. Next time, could you test them with Compiz/Compton as well?

Comment

Originally posted by trek View Post
                I can't imagine why openbox is not always at the first place, it should perform faster than any other! (yes, openbox user here)
                It is not needed to be very first when diff among first and second is in area of error , but to not have those deep down cases

Comment

Like for example Gnome, under which for whatever reason CS:GO is running at halfed framerate

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                    Xfce is perfect and stable
                    Stable, maybe. Perfect? It's uglier than LXDE/LXQt, but heavier. How is it meant to be perfect?

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
                      Michael
                      yep. as a premium member I also vote for this comparison - but on radeonSI. Please use the Shift+Alt+F12 shortcut, if you do it. Only this disables compositing completely.
                      Thx Michael
                      Michael another Premium member interested in this comparison. I don't care which card.
                      ## VGA ##
                      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Working...
                      X