Valve Uses Kubuntu For Demonstrating Linux VR With The HTC Vive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tuxee View Post
    Christ! They are showing off a live demo of the HTC Vive on Linux and the whole discussions revolves around "Why did they use KDE? What is the grand scheme behind this?". This is obviously a developer rig and KDE the personal preference of the developer.
    Unfortunately the title of the article is "Valve Uses Kubuntu For Demonstrating Linux VR With The HTC Vive" and not "Valve Demonstrates Linux VR With The HTC Vive". KDE could have been a side point.

Last edited by zboson; 14 October 2016, 08:17 AM.

Comment

You guys do realize that Plagman already answered the "Why" in the first page? Maybe some people should look up who he is.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuxee View Post
        Christ! They are showing off a live demo of the HTC Vive on Linux and the whole discussions revolves around "Why did they use KDE? What is the grand scheme behind this?". This is obviously a developer rig and KDE the personal preference of the developer.
        Maybe it shows that most people don’t care much about VR?
        On the other hand we have very little info about that VR demo, so nothing to talk about.

Comment

I have 2 ideas:
          1) Steam is based on Qt for what i know. So devs are probably more accustomed to use it instead of GTK and such.
          2) In KDE is very simple to disable compositing. Really disable it, not like in GNOME. This can ease the problem of having multiple OpenGL contexts running at the same time on your GPU. Very usefull considering that VR already uses a couple of them to chooch...

Comment

Originally posted by Cape View Post
            I have 2 ideas:
            1) Steam is based on Qt for what i know. So devs are probably more accustomed to use it instead of GTK and such.
            2) In KDE is very simple to disable compositing. Really disable it, not like in GNOME. This can ease the problem of having multiple OpenGL contexts running at the same time on your GPU. Very usefull considering that VR already uses a couple of them to chooch...
            Ooops.. didn't see the Plagman comment... Well at least I was right :-)

Comment

KDE is the most used DE on Linux. So it's natural for Valve to use it. Also, it's the most flexible one in general, so may be those who made the demo simply prefer it themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

KDE is used by many people, it's popular. Therefore, Valve is showcasing a real-life scenario, which is a good thing.
                Your sarcasm is very powerful!

Anyway, I'm not confident about Valve. They should ditch OpenVR and get into OSVR.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                  KDE is the most used DE on Linux. So it's natural for Valve to use it. Also, it's the most flexible one in general, so may be those who made the demo simply prefer it themselves.
                  KDE is the most used DE on Linux

KDE most used

KDE

Comment

Originally posted by obedlink View Post
                    If Valve likes KDE. Why don't they give support to Steam systray on KDE?
                    when one close steam, the application is minimized instead close to tray.
                    env STEAM_FRAME_FORCE_CLOSE=1 /usr/bin/steam %U

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                      That it is the most flexible/advanced I have no doubt, but do you have any numbers of it's real-world usage on Linux Desktops?

Comment

Working...
                      X