Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steam Dev Days: VR, VR, VR; Valve Looking To Contract Mesa Developers For AMD Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Dev Days: VR, VR, VR; Valve Looking To Contract Mesa Developers For AMD Work

Phoronix: Steam Dev Days: VR, VR, VR; Valve Looking To Contract Mesa Developers For AMD Work

For those not paying attention to the #SteamDevDays tweets from the many developers at the Seattle event, the first day of Valve's 2016 conference appears to have been a huge success and the overall focus was on VR...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

LOL, they should have paid people to work on mesa and other projects since they first came up with SteamOS and Steam machines.
    Now it's only 3 years too late.

But who the hell needs a decent graphics stack on a gaming platform anyway? ONLY VR!!! /s

Comment

They should release Linux themed objects on the CS:GO. That will fund pretty well all the developers working on making Linux gaming possible

Comment

I wonder if the Steam VR will work on the SN-970 that was also on the twitpic

Comment

juno. They did employee people to work on Mesa. They paid LunarG to make a Vulcan Intel driver and made several Linux graphics debugging tools.

Comment

This is excellent news, I was sorta waiting for AMD to go whole-hog on it, but if Valve is paying it's basically as good or better. AMD releases comprehensive hardware documentation, this is exactly the sort of thing it is there for. Great work, RadeonSI folks. :- )

Comment

I wish I was a Mesa developer. I would love to contribute I think. Especially anything related to VR. How do I get started? I am competent C and C++ programmer.

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post
                LOL, they should have paid people to work on mesa and other projects since they first came up with SteamOS and Steam machines.
                Now it's only 3 years too late.

But who the hell needs a decent graphics stack on a gaming platform anyway? ONLY VR!!! /s
                It's decent enough. If you follow Phoronix benchmarks, you can see that usually Mesa + RadeonSI are on par with AMDGPU-PRO. Nouveau has no chance as it lacks reclocking and it won't progress quickly until nvidia starts releasing specifications. Intel? Well, Intel doesn't matter. Having 2 or 3 fps is the same.

Comment

Out of curiosity, do the closed-source Nvidia drivers support OpenVR? I suppose Valve/HTC isn't really in a position to be demanding Nvidia what to do with their own drivers, but I find it a little weird that they seem to be only targeting AMD right now. Not that I have a problem with that - Mesa devs deserve all the cash they get thrown at them.

Comment

(yawn)

Comment

Working...
                    X