No announcement yet.

Unreal Tournament 3 Running On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I still don't get the problem with the resolution. Why do you need to switch to a larger resolution? Or rather said... what gain is there from something weird like let's say 520x370 or something like that?

Comment

Why do you need to switch to a larger resolution? Or rather said... what gain is there from something weird like let's say 520x370 or something like that?
      For windowed, because the resolution you render to is normally proportionate to the physical size of the window. So if you needed to render to something weird like 520x370 to get an accepetable framerate, how would you handle that? In windowed mode, you'd end up with a tiny window. In fullscreen mode, you'd probably have to drop to 320x240 or go up to 640x480. In both cases, if the game's HUD or text isn't designed for such low resolution, you're SOL (notice in those pics that the text and HUD is still sharp.. it's just the scene that's lower res).

You gain not having to run complex pixel shaders as often (196,608 times for a full scene in 512x384, versus 786,432 times in 1024x768; not counting overdraw or any other offscreen rendering). And if you're running on something like a GF6 (which is fully DX9/SM3 capable), or even a GF7 or lowend GF8, removing that extra processing could be the difference between a playable framerate, and a bad gaming experience.

Comment

Do you think is too late for the game in terms of skill required? I mean, Windows players will have nearly one year of experience more than me, that's a bad side effect of waiting many months!
        I started playing ETQW 2 or 3 months after buying it in October 2007, and the first weeks were not nice, too much learning curve.

Comment

Originally posted by marakaid View Post
          Do you think is too late for the game in terms of skill required? I mean, Windows players will have nearly one year of experience more than me, that's a bad side effect of waiting many months!
          I started playing ETQW 2 or 3 months after buying it in October 2007, and the first weeks were not nice, too much learning curve.
          thats a good point...neh i'll prawn them

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
            For windowed, because the resolution you render to is normally proportionate to the physical size of the window. So if you needed to render to something weird like 520x370 to get an accepetable framerate, how would you handle that? In windowed mode, you'd end up with a tiny window. In fullscreen mode, you'd probably have to drop to 320x240 or go up to 640x480. In both cases, if the game's HUD or text isn't designed for such low resolution, you're SOL (notice in those pics that the text and HUD is still sharp.. it's just the scene that's lower res).

You gain not having to run complex pixel shaders as often (196,608 times for a full scene in 512x384, versus 786,432 times in 1024x768; not counting overdraw or any other offscreen rendering). And if you're running on something like a GF6 (which is fully DX9/SM3 capable), or even a GF7 or lowend GF8, removing that extra processing could be the difference between a playable framerate, and a bad gaming experience.
            I guess I see where you are coming from. I'm still though a bit astonished this does the trick in such low resolutions. I could understand if we talked here about something like 1280x1050 or even 1680x1050 I run on my system ( where fill-rate really does explode ) but at this resolution range I somehow would expect the blit to not have too much influence. At last I played UT3 on a 6600GT with 600x800 resolution ( upscaled on TFT with 1680x1050 ) with acceptable framerate and this is the smallest resolution the game offered me.

Comment

Mac version of UT3 spotted on play.com
              Honestly I don't know when it appeared, maybe it's old news, but I think it's significant.

Comment

Originally posted by Darknight View Post
                Mac version of UT3 spotted on play.com
                Honestly I don't know when it appeared, maybe it's old news, but I think it's significant.
                Not present for the MacOS lineup over on play.com as of 10:14 CST on 09-27-08. So, it's not as significant as you implied, sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                  Not present for the MacOS lineup over on play.com as of 10:14 CST on 09-27-08. So, it's not as significant as you implied, sorry.
                  It's under pc games, but tagged (mac) and the description talks about mac.

Comment

Originally posted by Darknight View Post
                    It's under pc games, but tagged (mac) and the description talks about mac.
                    http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/5333...I/Product.html
                    This item is not currently available to order. Enter your email address, click the ?Notify me? button and we?ll let you know as soon as it becomes available to pre-order.
                    It's not any different than the Amazon entry for the same, unfortunately.

Unless it's offered for sale, it means little.

Comment

Im currently taking pre-orders for UT3 for linux, factory sealed DVD boxes with the cdkey inside, I'll start selling them on Oct 1st. from my website www.ut3linux.com only send 10$ to the specified address in the site, worldwide shipping available, all orders ship from my HQ store in Nigeria.

Comment

Working...
                      X