No announcement yet.

Unreal Tournament 3 Running On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess so. Never used the Apricot build. I'm used to my dev-build ( although I still manage to learn new things about Blender from time to time although using it for quite some time now ).

Comment

First official forum thread about Linux client that is not closed by WarTourist or another administrator:

Comment

Originally posted by marakaid View Post
        First official forum thread about Linux client that is not closed by WarTourist or another administrator:
        http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=623755
        Moreover, note his remarks... Interesting...

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          Heh, that screenshot looks a lot better then the screenshot Ryan put up. Ryan's looks like it's running pretty low res with lots of jaggies. Software renderer perhaps.
          UT3 has an option to "scale up" a low-res render (so it would render at, say, 512x384, then scale up to 1024x768).. I guess its so it allows the game to ease up on the GPU from complex pixel shaders. At least in the demo, the default was a 50% scaling.

Comment

Uhm... what use is this please? On CRTs upscalign is for free. And even on TFTs upscaling by integer factors is done by the TFT integrated interpolation unit. So why upscaling on the graphic card wasting previous fill-rate ( since you have to fill in addition to the game rendered screen also the full screen ) if you have a TFT with integrated interpolation unit doing this for free?

Comment

Lower resolutions on LCDs is awful (it often blurs badly, or even worse, may just be centered and not scaled). CRT upscaling is much better, true. However, that doesn't help for a) windowed modes, or b) systems where the target rendering resolution isn't available as a graphics mode. How many systems do you know that can display 720x450, half my current LCD native res? Mine doesn't. I was lucky to get a working 512x384 (half 1024x768) on most CRTs I had.

Plus, the game lets you pick almost any percentage for a speed vs. sharpness tradeoff.

Comment

Yeah, but it doesn't really help much. Only a good machine helps to make it run well. And... render resolution not available as graphic mode... that ain't working. To upscale to a resolution it has to be supported. You can render off-screen into any resolution you want to but once it gets on-screen it has to match a graphic mode ( if fullscreen ) or the window size. I somehow don't get the problem.

And about interpolation... graphic cards do box-filtering. That's similar to what TFTs do in their interpolation units ( interpolate between 4 nearest pixels ). Some TFTs are better at this, some less. In the end though it's not much worse than what the graphic card would do so... again... why doing it then in the first place wasting fill-rate ( which could be spend for a higher resolution instead )?

Comment

And... render resolution not available as graphic mode... that ain't working. To upscale to a resolution it has to be supported. You can render off-screen into any resolution you want to but once it gets on-screen it has to match a graphic mode ( if fullscreen ) or the window size.
                  Exactly. So how could you render at 512x384 if you can't set a 512x384 mode? Or if you wanted a window the same size as 1024x768, but rendered at 512x384?

In the end though it's not much worse than what the graphic card would do so... again... why doing it then in the first place wasting fill-rate ( which could be spend for a higher resolution instead )?
                  UE3 is a rather advanced engine, no doubt using rather complex shaders. No matter how fast the GPU is, long shaders still take a more time to compute than a simple stretch blit. It makes it so it doesn't have to run those complex pixel shaders as often (1/4th less often at half the res), and instead substitutes them for a (faster) glBlitFramebufferEXT call. They can even stretch it using nearest filtering, so you get the hard edges you'd normally have on a CRT (which personally I actually prefer), instead of the blurring you'd have from an LCD.

Comment

And you do not need this strange resolution of yours. TFTs are not required to use all pixels on their display. If the TFT is smart the screen is stretched to fill the available pixels best without too much quality loss. I did for example play UT3 in 800x600 on a 1680x1050 monitor and it looked good. And this had been not a factor two scaling. That said box-filtering is not required to be of an exact integer multiple to work reasonably well.

EDIT: I overlooked you mentioning glBlitFramebufferEXT. That's a bit a different story since that's an accelerated blit. In that case the speed bit is a bit different ( edited out text above ).
                    Last edited by Dragonlord; 20 September 2008, 04:42 PM.

Comment

And you do not need this strange resolution of yours. TFTs are not required to use all pixels on their display. If the TFT is smart the screen is stretched to fill the available pixels best without too much quality loss.
                      But that still only applies for known fullscreen modes. If you want a bigger windowed resolution, you either need to increase the rendered resolution, or render offscreen at whatever resolution and stretch to the window. And if you want a resolution that your card and/or monitor doesn't support, you either must use the next bigger or smaller, or set a mode that's bigger, then render offscreen and stretch.

Also don't forget, the game allows you to pick any size above 50%, IIRC. So that's a significant amount of personal control over selecting the speed of the game, versus visual quality (some people might not be as bothered by 20FPS as others, while others might need to turn it all the way down and hope to get 20FPS).. Both without having to sacrifice physical window size, or worry if the mode is supported for fullscreen.

Comment

Working...
                      X