Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Expected To Show Off Linux VR Demo Today

Phoronix: Valve Expected To Show Off Linux VR Demo Today

The HTC Vive was supposed to ship with Linux support but that hadn't materialized... But it looks like it now has. Valve is expected to show off a VR Linux demo during this week's Steam Dev Days event in Seattle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is awesome news! I'm looking froward to any reviews from Phoronix. It's highly likely I will get a Vive if they support Linux since Oculus does not.

It would also be great to see a review of OSVR and their headsets with Linux. I have been thinking of getting involved in OSVR.

Comment

Hmm I can see four prebuild steam machines on the picture, Alienware steam machine, 2x zotac nen970s and syber vapor and of course punch of steam controllers. Wonder if they are showing that demo on those too or is there some kind of give a way.

Comment

nice bong

Comment

Originally posted by zboson View Post
          It would also be great to see a review of OSVR and their headsets with Linux. I have been thinking of getting involved in OSVR.
          Don't.

On the plus side, someone just added $100 to the bounty for https://www.bountysource.com/issues/...camera-support

Anyway, as I have an OSVR HDK2 I hope whatever Valve does with SteamVR (with Vulkan?) on linux also works with the steamvr-osvr plugin. osvr-rendermanager doesn't have Vulkan support (but they want to https://github.com/sensics/OSVR-Rend...ger/issues/153), but maybe it's not necessary yet. Hopefully Valve doesn't use nvidia's OpenGL interop extension, or alternatively hopefully other driver start implementing it too.
          And lastly I hope it works on radv and I don't have to use that awful amdgpu-pro again.

Comment

Originally posted by tuke81 View Post
            Hmm I can see four prebuild steam machines on the picture, Alienware steam machine, 2x zotac nen970s and syber vapor and of course punch of steam controllers. Wonder if they are showing that demo on those too or is there some kind of give a way.
            Only one that MIGHT be able to run decent VR is syber vapor.
            The other two are using a GTX 960.

The PC with the note stickered on is probably using one or even two bigass cards.

Comment

unapproved post above for tuke81

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                unapproved post above for tuke81
                Uhm... what, where, why?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  Only one that MIGHT be able to run decent VR is syber vapor.
                  The other two are using a GTX 960.

The PC with the note stickered on is probably using one or even two bigass cards.
                  Yeah you are right about that, so some lame give a way maybe.

But then again even sony ps4 has some sort of VR. And it's even lot weaker than gtx 960.

Comment

Finally! And if it uses Vulkan it might even be better than on Windows! Now, will I need Ubuntu for the amdgpu pro driver? There doesn't seem to be an easy way to install it on Fedora.

Comment

Working...
                    X