Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mad Max Coming To Linux, NVIDIA Graphics Supported

Phoronix: Mad Max Coming To Linux, NVIDIA Graphics Supported

The Mad Max game is being released for Linux later this month on 20 October...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

No AMD support as yet ? Kind of adds to Nvidia's point about Wayland. However I'm sure others will express different opinions.

Don't you just love democracy and free speech ?

Comment

Michael, it's unusual of you not to mention the studio that actually did the game. Perhaps add that?

I'm surprised they're doing the port since Avalanche Studios (which I did my M.Sc thesis at) have never before even mentioned Linux. I'm glad it's being done!

Comment

Did they remove Denuvo DRM? Or ported it to Linux? It will be interesting to see.

Comment

Nice! I never finished it on Windows when it came out last year, played a few hours these couple of days, but now I will be able to finish it on Linux!

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
            No AMD support as yet ? Kind of adds to Nvidia's point about Wayland. However I'm sure others will express different opinions.

Games doesn't have to, and should not, add support for specific hardware. Yet, every single major game ported to Linux needs tweaks to work with AMD's drivers.

Comment

No. Without them is worse, but I don't love them.

Comment

Originally posted by bibaheu View Post
                Did they remove Denuvo DRM? Or ported it to Linux? It will be interesting to see.
                My guess is removed it just for the Linux build. Then again it porbably does work when build for Linux.

Comment

AMD may work now (or soon) if you have bleeding edge kernels and Mesa. See the Feral comment here.

Comment

Feral said:
                    Due to various issues with Mesa we will not be supporting AMD on release. We only can officially support drivers if they meet the quality needed and sadly Mesa isn't quite there yet as it has a few issues and edge cases. It was a super close call but in the end we won't say a game is officially supported unless it runs great using release versions of the drivers and kernel.

However we developed the game using AMD cards as well as Nvidia so if you install the latest Mesa beta drivers and other updates as needed it runs it's just not at a level where we can provide official support as some edge cases will exist. Hopefully once all the Mesa developments get into a stable release version and all the related kernel improvements also are in a stable release then support for Mad Max and similar complex titles will be easier/possible.
                    So it might work well with the -git builds already.

Comment

Working...
                    X