Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steam Survey Linux Data Updated For September (2016)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kirgahn View Post
    Linux:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 0.41%
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 0.33%
    AMD Radeon RX 480 0%

So, despite the fact that AMD is more "open source friendly" and that the newer driver model is a clear improvement from the past, adoption is, according to the eternally unreliable steam survey, nothing, none, zero, nada.

I suspect that the RX 480 8GB retailing at even higher prices than the GTX 1060 6GB in some countries is playing a role in that, given that ultimate performance is on the NVIDIA side of the fence.

I, despite my NVIDIA cards collection, will be going with an RX 480 exactly due to the open driver stack being superior, and AMD being friendlier with open driver developers. I see no reason for the RX 480, especially custom ones with a decent cooling solution, not to perform at decent levels for the years to come. Not to mention that it'll be quite an improvement from a GTX 560. But that'll only happen when a custom 8GB version will actually retail for 250€ or less.
    Those numbers confuse me as I got the Steam Survey both months in a row while my AMD RX 480 was present.

I find that gaming performance equals what I got my GTX 970 at least and I get all the stability benefits of MESA, and cool new tech of Wayland when I feel like getting it.

Getting all the right drivers on Arch was slightly tricky as I had no idea what I was doing, but once I got it going I hit at least a 120 FPS in most games with decent optimization - 350 FPS in CS:GO and ~320 CS:S

Distance is 120 FPS, all at 1080p, Unity games like Road Redemption run well, the only game that wont start on MESA for me that I recall is ARK, but I don't really dig it much anyways so I'm not sad, no did I really try for more than 5 minuets.

So I don't know how there are 0% RX 480 users, I would think it would at least be 0.01% of Linux users if not way more. I read about people switching to RX 460, RX 470 and RX 480 with overall good success.

Comment

Originally posted by Desti
      AMD Radeon R9 Fury Series
      0.18%
      +0.18%
      So all R9 Furies have just appeared in the last month? Looks very unrealistic.

Comment

Working...
      X