Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 1.9.20 Has New Clipboard API Reimplementation

Phoronix: Wine 1.9.20 Has New Clipboard API Reimplementation

Wine 1.9.20 is now available as the latest bi-weekly development release of this cross-platform program to run Windows programs/games on other operating systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wondering if primary clipboard finally start working (I guess it's more like a refactoring though).

Besides, I was always curious, why didn't they just use an existing toolkit in the first place, e.g. GTK or Qt. FWIW, Wine Staging has experimental GTK support, albeit pretty raw yet.

Comment

These changelogs are getting shorter and shorter. Vacation, less interest from devs, or individual tasks requiring more work? I wonder if Codeweavers is still planning full DX11 support by the end of the year. We're almost there.

None the less, those msvcp140.dll fixes will be used by a lot of applications, so they should be very useful in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
        These changelogs are getting shorter and shorter. Vacation, less interest from devs, or individual tasks requiring more work? I wonder if Codeweavers is still planning full DX11 support by the end of the year. We're almost there.

None the less, those msvcp140.dll fixes will be used by a lot of applications, so they should be very useful in the long run.
        Could be all this, but you should understand how wine changelogs form.

The bug tracker has over 6000 butg open. Some are invalid, some are abandoned, some are valid some are duplicates of other bugs. A bug is marked fixed when the original poster reports that the issue is fixed, or when 2 other bug tracker members says it's fixed without workarounds with recent wine version.

You only see these bugs in changelogs. Even there would be more fixed. There arent enough people to test bugs. Or develop patches. Even testing bugs, so that abandoned, duplicates or invalid ones can be closed would help.

Also friday is the last day before relase, there is usually if not always bugs that are fixed on friday with friday commits, but they are not marked fixed for that release.

Comment

2.1.2 Will Wine run only under X?

Until recently with projects such as Wayland, serious alternatives to x11drv weren't even on the horizon so development has focused on X. However, Wine's interface with the graphics driver is designed to be abstract so supporting future graphics systems will hopefully be straight-forward.
          Wine doesn't run (natively) under Wayland.
          I guess you could get it to run through XWayland though...

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Wine doesn't run (natively) under Wayland.
            I guess you could get it to run through XWayland though...
            Shock horror, a project that has enough to do isn't working on a backend that up til now hasn't shipped by default in anything. There is also the fact that Ubuntu and OSX are probably their two largest markets, neither use Wayland so a port up til now wouldn't have made much sense.

Comment

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post
              There is also the fact that Ubuntu and OSX are probably their two largest markets, neither use Wayland so a port up til now wouldn't have made much sense.
              Nah, though Ubuntu has very big userbase, being promoted as a newbie-friendly, but from the POV of GNU/Linux part of Wine devs, it's just another distro, nothing more (unless someone paid by Canonical to develop Wine, but I've never heard anything alike).

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
                Nah, though Ubuntu has very big userbase, being promoted as a newbie-friendly, but from the POV of GNU/Linux part of Wine devs, it's just another distro, nothing more (unless someone paid by Canonical to develop Wine, but I've never heard anything alike).
                If the same next gen software was available on both then that would be fine, but Wayland isn't on Ubuntu and Ubuntu's Mir won't be on any other distro. That's a pretty big split in terms of what they're going to put developer resources into. Depending on the split of Ubuntu vs Everyone else will probably drive which backend they develop first. More realistically, as was predicted when the Wayland/Mir thing blew up, they'll probably just stick with x11 because that's what absolutely everyone has

Comment

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post

If the same next gen software was available on both then that would be fine, but Wayland isn't on Ubuntu and Ubuntu's Mir won't be on any other distro. That's a pretty big split in terms of what they're going to put developer resources into. Depending on the split of Ubuntu vs Everyone else will probably drive which backend they develop first. More realistically, as was predicted when the Wayland/Mir thing blew up, they'll probably just stick with x11 because that's what absolutely everyone has
                  I see what you mean. But even for talking about just Ubuntu, the distro has a bunch of DEs and Unity is the single one using Mir, and nobody sees anything useful in Mir. I don't think the question "To wayland or to Mir?" is really a thing.

As for predicting the future, to me it rather looks like Wayland support would start when they finalize GTK support (which is going in wine-staging).

Comment

...and Mir support start with that either if GTK would implement it.

Comment

Working...
                    X