No announcement yet.

It's Been Three Years Since Valve Announced SteamOS, Steam Machines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The greatest failure is that to this day DirectX is still supreme for developers targeting non-console operating systems. Over three years since Steam came to Linux, combined with the knowledge of iOS and Android using OpenGL, and every game for Windows is still shipping DirectX 11 and some are supporting DX12 and less than a half dozen meaningful titles support Vulkan.

If Valve had succeeded we would be seeing day one cross platform titles being released with a single graphics backend written in OpenGL rather than farmed out ports that perform at up to half the speed of the original Windows development.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
      iOS and Android using OpenGL
      Both are using OpenGL ES and thats not the same as his big Brother OpenGL.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
        The whole effort seemed like a cluster-f because they quickly abandoned the thing and let it die on the vine, even before they officially released anything. It makes me wonder what their intentions were all along. One day they were hot, and then the next day they were cold.
        if i remember correctly, they started to work on linux when microsoft was trying to take over the valve online marketplace with games for windows (or similar name)

then the microsoft plans was abandoned and then valve lowered the priority on the linux side

Comment

I am no gamer myself but I think the best thing valve could do is to apply a virtual machine on top of for example Debian (since it is the mother distro for so many others). That way the "Hardware" would be the same for all games and now with virgl in the pipeline performances should be adequate too. All you would have to do was just to download a package over your existing OS and get going.

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

VR is more fun then working on linux audio and optimizing linux. I don't blame developers but valve allowing employees to choose what to work on doesn't always allow them to focus on the big picture.

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post
              #FIXED
              ubuntu can't fix steam libs, it is steam's issue. it pollutes namespace with old shit

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
                If Valve had succeeded we would be seeing day one cross platform titles being released with a single graphics backend written in OpenGL
                Take MS out of business in three years? Maybe you had that goal, but I doubt Valve ever did.

Comment

Originally posted by pmorph View Post
                  Take MS out of business in three years?
                  Not out of business (MS is for this too big and not focused enough on "games"), but more effort to make steamos the a choice for game developer. Valve don't take Linux seriously. Sure, they Port the Client and games to Linux and prove the world that is it possible to bring the same or better performance on nvgl than d3d on windows. But there is no real effort to make Linux more attractive for Game Developer/Studios.

Comment

I was hoping for SteamOS gaming to take off, but it's still complete and utter shit.

I need to configure my settings to my liking. Like enabling SGSAA for older games (or other forms of anti-aliasing), using DSR, setting a frame limiter to reduce input lag, use injectors for SMAA or shader enhancements (like SweetFX or ENB), enable FastSync for games that run at 200+ FPS, using Dolby Headphone with my sound card, use different screen refresh rates for different games, use adaptive vsync, or 1/2 and 1/3 vsync.

And probably a gazillion other things I forgot.

Linux gaming is still a joke to me :-/

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
                      Not out of business (MS is for this too big and not focused enough on "games"), but more effort to make steamos the a choice for game developer.
                      Sure, but D3D is no hobby project for MS either, they'll keep pushing it to developers all they can. And considering depth of their pockets, they can a lot.

Comment

Working...
                      X