Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II Rolls Out To Linux Gamers, Will Run Fine On Mesa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Michael The game has a built-in benchmark mode
    (probably not gonna matter much in phoronix benchmarks, but hey)

from above,
    Linux vs Mac works fine for online play.

Which is a "yes" if your question was sarcastic.
    As I wrote in my article, I ran the benchmark mode and explored, but there is no support for firing it up from the CLI... just the in-game menu. Spent a good hour poking at the binaries and examining the strings of all the files to see there is no CLI support to be able to automate it.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post
      citation needed...

I can see DoW1 being ported without online. But DoW2?! That's pretty far-fetched considering online play is such a huge aspect of the game...
      official explanation for CoH2 (valid also for this game) https://steamcommunity.com/groups/ma...8719787800607/

Comment

"Feral Interactive ported Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II and the CHaos Rising and Retribution game add-ons to Linux."

Okay, so Chaos Rising and Retribution are expansions? Are they stand alone? I guess what I am really asking is, if I buy one of them, should it be the original? Has anyone played this?

Comment

I'm just playing the first complete collection edition and I can sa this game is amazing and it is scalable with the possibility to play all the different factions once ended the first game which represents a tutorial to the whole planet battle of the expansion universe. where to play in planetary or universe maps as Risiko. So I'm curious about this second installment.

Comment

Originally posted by shawnsterp View Post
            "Feral Interactive ported Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II and the CHaos Rising and Retribution game add-ons to Linux."

Okay, so Chaos Rising and Retribution are expansions? Are they stand alone? I guess what I am really asking is, if I buy one of them, should it be the original? Has anyone played this?
            Facepalm. It's not obvious indeed. When I played it (CD game) they were technically standalone games, not expansions (also Steam treats them as standalone games not "DLC" which is the modern name for "expansion").

To play with the races from the earlier games in the newest expansion (multiplayer or AI match) you need to provide a valid the game key or have the other game installed (or *cough*crack it*cough*), the "expansion" has all the game assets on its own, it does not use the older game's stuff.

Otherwise you can only play with the two races of each "expansion" (tau/sisters or Chaos/dunno-as-I-didn't.buy-it) or the four races of the base game (without the new stuff added to them in the expansions).

Anyway, Steam says all three are supported on linux, and it should rightly be so as it's the same damn game with different in-game assets and story mode after all.

So you should probably buy the Master Collection that basically gives you one expansion for 5$ (the right price for the chaos one, but I digress), and bundles the base game with the latest expansion which is the game you will play in multiplayer if you want to fight all races.
            That's a 55-ish euro package on steam, but considering that the last expansion alone is 30 euros it's not a so huge difference anyway.

Comment

EDIT: oh crap I mixed up the titles, sorry. I played Dawn of war I and its expansions, please amend the above with:

Retribution has all races for multiplayer, while to play all races in the base game in Chaos Rising you need to have the base game too (in a similar way as described above).

Comment

If you only got one, I'd personally recommend Retribution: It has more replayability in the campaigns, and all factions/heroes unlocked for multiplayer/skirmish and IIRC the Last Stand game mode, as starshipeleven mentioned. The campaigns in Retribution all have nearly the same events, but each faction brings it's own flavor to the story. To me Retribution falls a little flat story-wise compared to the original, but the original only had a Space Marine campaign. For me the ork campaign in Retribution was possibly the most fun of any of the campaigns, despite the story being a bit lackluster.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  official explanation for CoH2 (valid also for this game) https://steamcommunity.com/groups/ma...8719787800607/
                  I see. Very unfortunate considering how much multiplayer means to these particular titles.

Hopefully the DoW3 team will learn from this.

Comment

Originally posted by techbiscuit View Post
                    If you only got one, I'd personally recommend Retribution: It has more replayability in the campaigns, and all factions/heroes unlocked for multiplayer/skirmish and IIRC the Last Stand game mode, as starshipeleven mentioned. The campaigns in Retribution all have nearly the same events, but each faction brings it's own flavor to the story. To me Retribution falls a little flat story-wise compared to the original, but the original only had a Space Marine campaign. For me the ork campaign in Retribution was possibly the most fun of any of the campaigns, despite the story being a bit lackluster.
                    the original complete edition has much more than the single campaign of space marine: that's the first stand alone game but there are other 3 games following it.. If you play WINTER ASSAULT you can play both order and disorder factions as intertwined way choosing for the final factions to get the final objective....: the disorder factions story appears to be more intriguing in confront of the order story (I avoided to play the disorder the first time I play this game). Passed this second expansion episode, the saga follows THE DARK CRUSADE, where the player can play a whole map of a planet divided into regions where 6 factions fight to conquer the planet... now the game assume the ratiot of RISIKO. The story depends on faction you play however the game is based on cyclical attack and defense of the parts of territory improving the army and the power of commander. Now the game experience change it's much more critical and elaborate based on strategy and well knowledge of the force the player chose. This is the expansion I'm playing now... the last I played several years ago it's played between a planet system so much more big. Now I'm playing Tau a bit weak faction... however all the expansions are stand alone.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post

Practice makes perfect - lets hope they don't get sick of the bitching before then
                      I'm already sick of the bitching and I'm not even on the receiving end of it.

Comment

Working...
                      X