There Are Around 2,000 Steam Linux Games Available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post
    And most of them are simplistic indie games, not too many AAA titles, not to mention Linux gaming performance vs Windows, unfortunately Linux is still far away from being a viable gaming platform that can replace Windows, my favorite games dont have Linux versions at all, and future games I am interested in are unlikely to have Linux ports as well. I dont think I will be ditching Windows anytime soon.
    Steam on Linux does NOT aim to beat Windows, it is made by Valve to enter the console market and merge a maximum of games from Windows.
    Even if there is a small percent of AAA games it still have far more games than XB1 or WiiU.

The real problem is the lack of Steam machines at a competitive price (< 400$) and then games will spawn like mushrooms.

Comment

Just wanted to add that Steam advertises more games on Linux than SteamDB due to the fact that game developers have for one reason or another marked a depo in their app as being "Linux-only", thus triggering Steam's Linux-support counter. SteamDB does Linux checking manually. So ultimately it's caused by the game developers doing something that they shouldn't do.

Comment

I own about 850 Steam games, 350 are listed as SteamOS/Linux.

Comment

Simple rule: If it is a must buy, I know I will like and only available on Windows, I buy it.
          If it looks somewhat interesting and is available on Linux, I buy it.

Things that aren't well established games of well-known quality and very well reviewed, does not get purchased unless I can play them wihout dualbooting. In the last year I bought some 50 games, and they all played on Linux, with the only exception being Witcher 3.

Comment

And most of them are simplistic indie games, not too many AAA titles, not to mention Linux gaming performance vs Windows, unfortunately Linux is still far away from being a viable gaming platform that can replace Windows, my favorite games dont have Linux versions at all, and future games I am interested in are unlikely to have Linux ports as well. I dont think I will be ditching Windows anytime soon.
            Yep, same here. I run 1 Windows machines for my games, but otherwise I use Linux Mint. I really want Fallout 4, Witcher 3, and Dark Souls on Linux already. Come on Valve, get on it already.

Comment

226 of my 272 Steam games are available for Linux. Actually it's a bit more than that because some of the games that Steam is listing as not available on Linux actually do have Linux versions, but not on Steam for some reason (some of my Humble Bundle games are like this). Also, Divinity: Original Sin (Classic) is not available on Linux, but the Enhanced Edition is, and both versions are listed separately, so the game is effectively counted twice, once with Linux support and once without.

Comment

Valve proved that it's not Linux's fault that the games run poorly on Linux. It's the game makers. Look at how games like Left For Dead 2 run on Linux. I can hit over 150 FPS which is exactly the same as what I get on Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Righteous View Post

Tis true unfortunately. We are cough in a vicious circle. AAA developers don't bother with linux because they think nobody uses it. People won't adopt linux because they can't play their favorite games on it. Hardware vendors things nobody is interested in linux so they don't bother with driver.
                  Not sure what you're talking about.
                  This is 2016.

We've got one of the latest Tomb Raider games, XCOM 2, the entire Bioshock series, the entire portal series, the entire half-life series, Civ 5, etc. etc.

Additionally, I've gotten all the Final Fantasy games up through FF8 to work in Wine. Newer than that, excluding the MMORPGs FF11 and FF14 which do work, and they don't work because of an apparently incomplete DirectX 10 implementation in Wine. But that doesn't bother me much as there's plenty of other games to play on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Sidicas View Post

Additionally, I've gotten all the Final Fantasy games up through FF8 to work in Wine.
                    With Wine? From where did you get windows version of FF1

Comment

Originally posted by Sidicas View Post

Valve proved that it's not Linux's fault that the games run poorly on Linux. It's the game makers. Look at how games like Left For Dead 2 run on Linux. I can hit over 150 FPS which is exactly the same as what I get on Windows.
                      The same is true for Dota2 and TF2. Guys here should watch Michael benchmarks before whining "Linux has poor performances, drivers sux, I want an hawaiian pizza"...

Most ports use a layer that eat some performance, like Wine does. If the "port" is a real Linux game then it works perfectly at the same speed (approx).

Comment

Working...
                      X