Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Dev Days Are In 2 Weeks; SteamOS/Linux Will Be Talked About

Phoronix: Steam Dev Days Are In 2 Weeks; SteamOS/Linux Will Be Talked About

Coming up in two weeks marks the return of Steam Dev Days. Linux and SteamOS gaming will be talked about there, but so far no indications of Steam Machines...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does Steam support Wayland?

Is the Steam controller supported in the Linux kernel?

Comment

Hopefully they'll announce 64bit only client.

Comment

Will Valve at last bring out their own Steam Machines and really fight this abomination of fake pc-based console war?

Comment

Will Steam finally run on distributions aside SteamOS and maybe some Ubuntu release? Especially on 64bit systems. You know, just running. I don't need fancy UI that uses Vulkan to display its buttons. Just start and be there without crashing with library errors.
          The current situation kinda sucks. For more than 1/2 year I couldn't get it to run. (iirc. started with a mesa update, suddenly library errors, but I needed the new mesa for better OpenGL support and from then on I never got it to run again, no matter which of the bundled libraries I deleted. The error messages changed, but it never fully started.)
          Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

uid313
            PS: The Steam controller should be supported in the kernel. I could have a look at a 4.7.x kernel menuconfig but since they intended SteamOS as their platform for Steam consoles with the Steam controller it should definitely be supported.
            I woulnd't set hopes too high for Wayland (yet). Their client is quite bitchy about everything so don't expect it to run outside SteamOS or very close (deb-based) distributions.

Okay, I checked 4.7.2. and didn't find anything with a quick search (input devices -> gamepads and HID devices), but there is generic gamepad support and I don't know if there is support for certain chips in there (or if it uses rebranded things). But then I guess the whole thing is connected via USB, so I don't know if you can address single chips in there or the device as a whole. Maybe the support is not yet upstream?
            Last edited by Adarion; 26 September 2016, 09:58 AM.
            Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Well, to clear up things a bit:
              - Steam uses SDL2 (and actually employs its creator), so it should run on Wayland. That's not the case for every game, though.
              - The steam controller is supported, it is fully HID compliant, with a variety of devices emulation built-in. It works on any distribution. Try sc-controller for a nice GUI.

@Adarion : There is indeed since quite some time, and on some distributions, some issues with the Steam runtime, especially with mesa drivers, which are often compiled against more recent libraries than those bundled with steam (to keep it simple). Try starting steam with STEAM_RUNTIME=0 or similar, or just deleting the offending libraries from the steam install folder (you might have to do it quite regularly, depending on steam updates, but that's what I do). You can easily find online some nice one-liners that will do the job for you

Comment

EDIT: Adarion : Never mind, I didn't read the last part of your post correctly. That's strange, never got very big problems with it. But that's true that the lack of 64 bit support sucks.

Comment

I mentioned this on here before but in case you missed it, Gentoo now has an esteam script (available from steam-overlay) to determine the package dependencies of games dynamically when you have STEAM_RUNTIME disabled. Unfortunately it doesn't cover Steam itself but we have the dependencies for that pretty nailed down. I too have had issues with STEAM_RUNTIME enabled so, somewhat counter-intuitively, I think it's actually more reliable when you disable it.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                    Hopefully they'll announce 64bit only client.
                    Over Gabe's dead body.

Comment

Working...
                    X