X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bisby View Post
    5,000 sales @ $30 a pop is $150,000.
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    This game has 1% sales from Linux users. That's 4500 people. The game is $30. That is $135,000 made by Linux players.
    Are people who take advantage of sales in the minority? Speaking of which, this game is currently on sale @ the Humble Store.

Comment

It was ported over to OSX and Linux by KnockOut Games: https://twitter.com/frictionalgames/...rc=twsrc%5Etfw which is a one man company run by Aaron Melcher.

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post
        It was ported over to OSX and Linux by KnockOut Games: https://twitter.com/frictionalgames/...rc=twsrc%5Etfw which is a one man company run by Aaron Melcher.
        Interesting. Makes sense to outsource something like that if you're testing the waters. On the other hand, with so many embedded devices (phones, tablets, consoles, etc) running some Linux variant, it seems like good business sense to make sure your game is Linux compatible, or at least is written with cross-platform in mind, so as not to lock yourself out of these markets.

Comment

4 pages talking about Linux developer costs for an openGL only game engine. The stupid it burns!!!!

Comment

Horror is just a genre on Linux I have no interested in, I have like 300 steam games and Soma will never be one of them. Jump scare Horror seems like it would target teens who "shockingly" (jk) would less likely be on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post

Interesting. Makes sense to outsource something like that if you're testing the waters.
              They were not really testing the water though, the Penumbra and Amnesia series both run on Linux, and at least the latter one came with day-1 Linux support.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post

Interesting. Makes sense to outsource something like that if you're testing the waters. On the other hand, with so many embedded devices (phones, tablets, consoles, etc) running some Linux variant, it seems like good business sense to make sure your game is Linux compatible, or at least is written with cross-platform in mind, so as not to lock yourself out of these markets.
                Since they have been porting their engine to OSX and Linux since their first version (HPL1) and every game they have published to date have also been ported one would assume that their current engine (HPL3) is very Linux compatible indeed. SOMA was also released for Linux on day one so the work by the porter was probably very easy and by all means this looks like cross platform gaming done right.

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
                Horror is just a genre on Linux I have no interested in, I have like 300 steam games and Soma will never be one of them. Jump scare Horror seems like it would target teens who "shockingly" (jk) would less likely be on Linux.
                SOME is not a jump scare Horror game, in fact it's far more a Sci-Fi game with some horror elements with the most horror being in the setting and atmosphere.

Comment

I bought it on GOG and I really enjoyed it

Comment

Originally posted by Almindor View Post
                    Another SOMA linux player here. Loved the game, one of the "classics" for me now. I'm glad they're continuing linux support too.

Two things to note: supporting linux is not as simple as "hire one dev to port". the dev part is not that difficult if you planned for cross-platform from the get-go. The main issues are support, and supporting linux is the worst of all the major platforms. I say this as an indie dev. Too much fragmentation and library difference hell. Even getting your own libs all the way down to glibc is not enough sometimes for binary distribution. (glibc version mismatches)

So the main price tag on linux support is well, support people. A commercial entity can't just send people RTFM messages and "recompile it on your own" to fix. Sound doesn't work? (40% distroes anyone?) OpenAL/alsa issues. Graphics drivers problems? Ubuntu users on outdated drivers with known bugs? All unfixable from a distributor's perspective.

I love linux, but closed source is very hard on it, games are almost impossible.
                    Are you able to comment on how Flatpak / Snappy might help this situation? Do you think it might solve the "library hell" issue?

Comment

Thanks a lot for the hint! I didn't realize there is a new game from my favorite horror studio for long - and somehow it is already in my library??!! I don't remember all the games I'm buying, but how could I miss that?

Comment

Working...
                      X