Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unigine 2.3.1 Now Supports GPGPU Computing Via Compute Shaders, Renderer Improvements

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Unigine 2.3.1 Now Supports GPGPU Computing Via Compute Shaders, Renderer Improvements

    Phoronix: Unigine 2.3.1 Now Supports GPGPU Computing Via Compute Shaders, Renderer Improvements

    Unigine Engine developers have announced the latest version of their advanced multi-platform game engine and virtual reality system...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...2.3.1-Released

  • #2
    Linux friendly, but not OpenGL friendly.

    Currently broken, according to https://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/me...i/common/drirc
    Unigine Sanctuary
    Unigine Tropics
    Unigine Heaven
    Unigine Valley
    Unigine OilRush

    They have known this for many years now, it should be extremely easy to fix and yet you still can't run anything from them on an OpenGL compliant driver...

    Have they been fixing this in newer versions?

    Comment


    • #3
      UNIGINE 2 runs fine on Mesa drivers. All of the listed projects are based on UNIGINE 1 and we do not plan to port them to UNIGINE 2, focusing on new ones instead.

      Comment


      • #4
        Oh, so the problem is that they have been considered legacy all that time.

        It's a shame they don't get remakes with updated technology. From a simple end user's perspective they look like those demos are the best advertisement the engine can get, even being featured in many mainstream benchmarking websites...

        Comment


        • #5
          As whole game engine, not only fancy benchmark could be Unigine successful only in corrupted military environment.. Is not good product at all.

          If you dont believe me, try to check youtube for some Unigine editor showcase, are is almost any, because they are ashamed by its quality.

          Its why todays games are so bad, engines are all around renderer, screenshots, but overall game editors and gamedesign sucks.

          Comment


          • #6
            Anybody know if this can take advantage of IGPs? Because that would be pretty cool. Puts good use to otherwise useless hardware.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by ruthan View Post
              Its why todays games are so bad, engines are all around renderer, screenshots, but overall game editors and gamedesign sucks.
              Yeah, I guess all of the good software engineers prefer to get paid good money and work on real world software :/. Shame, because they wouldn't need their hands held.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ruthan View Post
                As whole game engine, not only fancy benchmark could be Unigine successful only in corrupted military environment.. Is not good product at all.

                If you dont believe me, try to check youtube for some Unigine editor showcase, are is almost any, because they are ashamed by its quality.

                Its why todays games are so bad, engines are all around renderer, screenshots, but overall game editors and gamedesign sucks.
                I agree that the editor isn't a strong point for Unigine but what you are saying is both extremely ignorant and extremely arrogant. I speak as somebody who has used the editor for the best part of a decade now.

                Good game design has little to nothing to do with the quality of the editor - that is a mostly orthagonal issue.

                You can make games in Unigine, the one caveat being that you are going to need at least one competant coder on your team (there are no visual environments for making behaviours for instance, and generally you will be building your game up from a lower level (with more control) than you would be with Unreal or Unity).

                Unigine has a few features that you will have a hard time finding in a licenseable game engine and it scales up a lot better than Unity, I haven't done enough comparisons with UnrealEngine. You won't however run into these scalability issues on a typical indy game project.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by kayosiii View Post

                  I agree that the editor isn't a strong point for Unigine but what you are saying is both extremely ignorant and extremely arrogant.
                  Well, im idealist, on i trying to say, what is really thinking. Unigine without really big change is doomed for games.. They know that.

                  I think right possible game creation is a lot about editor, there is list of games, which could prove it.. Design on paper is nice think, but you need capable editor to translate it into real game and true is that games with best editors are usually best games.. Because when you are great coder, why dont code great editor, i would save you lot of work.

                  Originally posted by kayosiii View Post
                  I speak as somebody who has used the editor for the best part of a decade now.
                  Decade, so you can post a proof, some great Unigine games which you created.

                  Look at some Unigine technology demos, even it such not too much good engine for graphics fidelity, they could make some nice technology demos, Unigine like.. but its very time consuming.
                  As far i know, only Unreal is so nice, that 1 guy could be himself nice technology demo, visualization.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by ruthan View Post
                    Well, im idealist, on i trying to say, what is really thinking. Unigine without really big change is doomed for games.. They know that.

                    I think right possible game creation is a lot about editor, there is list of games, which could prove it.. Design on paper is nice think, but you need capable editor to translate it into real game and true is that games with best editors are usually best games.
                    Because when you are great coder, why dont code great editor, i would save you lot of work.
                    The skillset needed to make a good game engine is really different to the skillset needed to produce a good user interface. In my experience programmers who are really good at the former don't do the later very well and vice versa. Ideally you people with both skillsets on the same team. Having said that Unigines editor is only bad in so far as it doesn't allow for a whole game to be made without some coding. It's not as polished as Unity or Unreal or Cryteks offering but it is at least on par with most other game editors I have used.

                    Unigine has a few problems of which are they are a small team relative to Unity/Unreal/Crytek, they are based in Siberia and they require money up front and as such have much smaller expert community, The editor is a symptom rather than a cause here. As such they are best off doing what they are currently doing which is offering features that the competition doesn't.

                    Decade, so you can post a proof, some great Unigine games which you created.
                    I work in Architectural visualisation as such we don't make games for the general public. https://unigine.com/en/news/2013/ai3...ship-simulator is one of ours however.

                    Look at some Unigine technology demos, even it such not too much good engine for graphics fidelity, they could make some nice technology demos, Unigine like.. but its very time consuming.
                    As far i know, only Unreal is so nice, that 1 guy could be himself nice technology demo, visualization.
                    Unity is a good prototyping engine (probably the easiest) - not necessarily the best for a large production. Unreal (gives a bit more power - along with a bit more complexity) is currently pretty buggy (we have been using this for a VR prototype in the office), CryEngine is also pretty good for doing prototypes though much more geared towards 3d first person type games. Unigine currently isn't a one person tool (unless you can code to the level where you could make a javascript based webpage) the price reflects that. It is one of the easiest toolsets to use in a team environment and it is one of the easiest to get large amounts of data between content creation software and the engine.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X