Feral Interactive Said To Be Announcing "Massive" New Game For Linux Tomorrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dr. Righteous View Post

Wow; I have that one and I never did get a chance to finish it. That would be cool.

Was unaware it was getting a port, I played it probably 5-6 years ago and remember enjoying it. Would be a fun port.

Comment

I guess it's either DOOM or Mass Effect 3, because I have a feeling that the announcement is about the Mars picture with the text "808 SB12S" on their site.

The indications for Mass Effect 3 are the Mars picture and the announcement that it will be massive.
      The indications for DOOM are the Mars picture, the Text and the fact that it's an id Software game. They may not publish it on Linux by themselves anymore but outsource it to Feral Interactive.

Comment

Originally posted by oooverclocker View Post
        I guess it's either DOOM or Mass Effect 3, because I have a feeling that the announcement is about the Mars picture with the text "808 SB12S" on their site.

The indications for Mass Effect 3 are the Mars picture and the announcement that it will be massive.
        The indications for DOOM are the Mars picture, the Text and the fact that it's an id Software game. They may not publish it on Linux by themselves anymore but outsource it to Feral Interactive.
        afaik if you are talking that radar on their site that game should not come yet. Depth Charge is the game which is near, what ever it is.

Comment

I'm gonna throw FFXI-2 onto the wish pile. FFXIV was a steaming pile of crap next to it.

Comment

Originally posted by SpaceJunk View Post
            inb4 it's No Man's Sky D:
            No, the sequel: Two Men's Sky.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
              That's the point. VP ports tend to outperform the original lately. Feral ports usually do 40-50% percent compared to windows, but only on nvidia. Feral ports aren't the best. Still something though.
              In my experience Feral ports are usually among the best ports on the platform and you really shouldn't compare performance to the original Windows versions when those versions get game-specific driver optimizations and the Linux versions don't. Also try to remember that Nvidia having a bigger advantage over AMD than on Windows is only natural due to the state of AMD's Linux drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post

In my experience Feral ports are usually among the best ports on the platform and you really shouldn't compare performance to the original Windows versions when those versions get game-specific driver optimizations and the Linux versions don't. Also try to remember that Nvidia having a bigger advantage over AMD than on Windows is only natural due to the state of AMD's Linux drivers.
                Of course you should. What else would you compare performance to, than an identically rendering version of the same game, engine, and assets?

Game-specific driver optimizations don't account for 50% of the performance on Windows. And this is pretty easily proven by looking at other game ports, where the difference is much smaller.

Comment

My guess is Deus Ex MD because of this:

See the "Feral Internal - P2" in that depot.

An instant buy for me when it comes. Lets hope Feral offers a Vulkan backend as that game will need all the performance it can get on Linux, as the Windows version has DX12 support and we can probably expect a performance penalty when running the port on Linux.

Comment

I'm going to go with Dirt Rally as it was just reported to have a potential port coming to Linux from finding the the SteamDB, plus I really want it. I have played all of the rally games going back to Collin Mcrae from Codemasters. Since they have had Showdown and Grid Autosport ported, it seems likely that Dirt Rally would be the next target.

Comment

Originally posted by oooverclocker View Post

Mass Effect is unlikely. How would they sell it? ME3 isn't on Steam, Origin isn't on Linux. Even if Feral has its own store, few people know the company even exists, and so would the port too become all forgotten in no time.

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post

you really shouldn't compare performance to the original Windows versions when those versions get game-specific driver optimizations and the Linux versions don't.
                      How exactly do you mean to evaluate porting quality, other than comparing the ports? Driver stuff is true, but there's a big difference between losing 10% performance and 60%. Feral has a lot of catching up to do. They know it, bought a lot of new hardware just a few months ago, so they can test more and learn more.

Comment

Working...
                      X