Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ioquake3 Is Finally Moving To Its New OpenGL Renderer By Default

Phoronix: Ioquake3 Is Finally Moving To Its New OpenGL Renderer By Default

The ioquake3 open-source game engine project that's built around the Quake III: Arena code-base is finally moving to its new renderer by default and abandoning the original 17-year-old renderer...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

does this mean OpenArena will be seeing a face lift?

Comment

well quake3 is a more fun game regardless of the graphics - thats why its maintenained. the folks are ioquake3 are pretty cool and I hope they keep going!

Comment

Originally posted by pcxmac View Post
        does this mean OpenArena will be seeing a face lift?
        Nope.

By default OpenGL 2 does not include any intentional changes to the look of ioquake3, those will remain optional.

Comment

Vulkan. Welcome 7,000FPS

Comment

It's a shame that the people who pushed for open-sourcing Id tech left Id, I'd loved to have seen what the FOSS community would have done with the Rage engine. A lot of people didn't like Rage, and I will admit it had it's problems. But I had a load of fun with that game. And the tech worked perfectly on the setup I had at the time (Geforce 280).

Who knows, maybe open sourcing it could had lead to someone actually finishing the game because the 'end' was by far the biggest problem. I also really liked the one boss fight that was in it, I don't know why they didn't include more.

Comment

Originally posted by balouba View Post
              well quake3 is a more fun game regardless of the graphics - thats why its maintenained. the folks are ioquake3 are pretty cool and I hope they keep going!
              Yeah, but not only quake3, many games that use this are in well maintained shape

ET: Legacy is an open source project based on the code of Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory which was released in 2010 under the terms of the GPLv3 license. - etlegacy/etlegacy

Community effort to maintain and improve Jedi Academy (SP & MP) + Jedi Outcast (SP only) released by Raven Software - JACoders/OpenJK

Comment

He, he, gotcha unapproved... probably because of posted links

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Larabel
                  Additionally, it's rather sad that ioquake3 remains more active and prosperous than the idTech4/ioDoom3 code-base.
                  it's not sad, it's b/c idtech3 > idtech4, newer is not always better. what it lacks in features it makes up for in versatility (comparatively anyway) and elegant design. idtech4 isn't a bad engine, just extremely narrow in focus, it was built to handle doom 3 and nothing else. the graphics, collision, and constraint solver (which iirc used a direct solver that was O(n^3) complexity in terms of joint constraints, which is one of the reasons it couldn't handle more than a handful of ragdolls at a time) sub systems are all very inflexible. doom 3 pretty much pushed the engine to its limits, if want something more expect to have to do a lot of modifications like raven soft reportedly ended up doing for wolfenstein 2009.

Comment

OpenGL versions don't work like D3D ones, you can't really say "this game uses OpenGL 3, not OpenGL 2", it just doesn't make any sense because the versions aren't segregated into their own APIs like with D3D. What you can say is "this game requires OpenGL 3 features".

What I'd be more interested in is whether the new renderer is core-profile only.

Comment

Working...
                    X