No announcement yet.

Mesa & AMDGPU-PRO Appear To Run Fine With Rocket League On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wish I was running mesa-git. I recently purchased an RX 480 Nitro and switched from mesa (on a 7870) to AMDGPU-PRO with Ubuntu 16.04. Yes ,the framerate is locked to 60 fps, but if I hit the boost my framerate drops to 30-35 fps. As long as I avoid boost in the game it's a solid 60 fps.

What's frustrating is that this just wreaks of AMD Catalyst era shit drivers. I'm betting good money if I popped my 7870 back in with mesa drivers this game would run flawlessly.

Dota 2 is also unplayable unless I run it with vulkan mode.

Comment

Using RX 480 reference card, kernel 4.8rc5, and mesa-git on Ubuntu 16.04 and running into stuttering issues. When the match starts, fps drops to single digits for first 30 seconds of game play, then goes up to 60fps for the rest of the match without issues. Tried 2 local matches and 2 online matches and same pattern occurred every time. Also, game crashes about 50% of the time I try to go back to main menu after a match.

Will experiment with different settings and see if I can get better results, but puzzling that the game seems to run great after 30 seconds of poor performance when the match starts.

Comment

very good performance with gallium-nine and native version on radeonsi

Comment

GTX 970, 1440p max settings except motion blur and bloom, 100+ fps. No issue with fps being limited to 60. All three FXAA modes do nothing for me, but MLAA works. I've had one crash to desktop in the middle of a match, one crash to desktop when exiting to main menu (which is a known issue), and one hard X server lockup when exiting the game.

Comment

Originally posted by rycodge View Post
            I wish I was running mesa-git. I recently purchased an RX 480 Nitro and switched from mesa (on a 7870) to AMDGPU-PRO with Ubuntu 16.04. Yes ,the framerate is locked to 60 fps, but if I hit the boost my framerate drops to 30-35 fps. As long as I avoid boost in the game it's a solid 60 fps.

What's frustrating is that this just wreaks of AMD Catalyst era shit drivers. I'm betting good money if I popped my 7870 back in with mesa drivers this game would run flawlessly.

I switched from mesa-git with 4.8 rc5 kernel to AMDGPU-PRO using the stock Ubuntu 16.04 kernel and got the same results with my reference RX 480. Only about 3-5 seconds of stuttering when first starting a match before locking into 60fps compared to the 30 seconds of stuttering I was getting using mesa-git. Main downside here is as you described, I go down to about 35-40 fps when boosting with the AMDGPU-PRO drivers, where I would still stay at 60fps on mesa-git. Still experiencing a lot of crashing after finishing a match or trying to go back to main menu on the pro drivers as well.

Hopefully these issues will get fixed as this game comes out of beta status.

Comment

Seeing these issues too, brief pauses early in each game but much better as the game progresses, and sometimes crashes in the menu. Using recent git Mesa with an RX 480 on Gentoo. Considering the release is only days old, it's not too bad, but I really hope they get it fixed

Comment

I'm actually having several issues with my R7 260X using AMDGPU-PRO on Ubuntu mate 160.04 with this title, and mesa git tend to have loading problems with it, i would have to try mesa git +kernel update since i was using 4.4 stock from ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post
                  It dont runs good at all. for real on Mesa 12.0.1 with an R9 380 its a PITA cause the game freezes all over the place for secounds and runs gain with 6ßfps another few secounds until it freezes again.

also it seems that it dont supports multicore technology. it always only runs on 1 core with 100% while all others are lazy.... a really bad port for now.
                  which distro / kernel / cpu?
                  On my Fury X I run 4k 60fps vsync all maxed...
                  cpu is [email protected]
                  no freezes or stutters whatsoever. only long loading times for an ssd.

Comment

Originally posted by rycodge View Post

why don´t you use padoka ppa - it is close to mesa-git

Comment

Originally posted by mossman44 View Post
                      Using RX 480 reference card, kernel 4.8rc5, and mesa-git on Ubuntu 16.04 and running into stuttering issues. When the match starts, fps drops to single digits for first 30 seconds of game play, then goes up to 60fps for the rest of the match without issues. Tried 2 local matches and 2 online matches and same pattern occurred every time. Also, game crashes about 50% of the time I try to go back to main menu after a match.

Will experiment with different settings and see if I can get better results, but puzzling that the game seems to run great after 30 seconds of poor performance when the match starts.
                      try a released kernel? or mesa stable?

Comment

Working...
                      X