Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocket League Finally Released For Linux

Phoronix: Rocket League Finally Released For Linux

A game that many Linux gamers have been waiting months to see has finally been released on Steam for Linux: Rocket League...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ague-For-Linux

I'll download it and play a bit with it tomorrow morning. The game is not very demanding, I got it running on one of those 100€ Windows 8 tablets with 1GB of RAM and a slow Atom CPU. It should work nicely on Mesa.

Comment

It's been a long time coming but glad it's finally here! Having it available on the Steam Machines might make them a little more compelling for some.

Originally posted by bibaheu View Post
      It should work nicely on Mesa.
      I'm hoping to find out shortly. Initial reports are that it runs well on Nvidia but limited to 60 FPS.

Comment

I just played for a bit. My setup is Arch Linux, running on an Intel 3570, 16GiB of RAM and a Radeon 290x (reference XFX). I'm using the Radeon driver with Mesa, and no Steam Runtime.

Performance is good when the game finishes loading, it starts the match before actually finishing loading all textures. Due to my games being stored in a LZMA compressed BTRFS volume, there is heavy stuttering while loading... after that, it works flawlessly maxed out (constant 60fps on vsync) at 1080p. I think grass looks a bit odd when looked on close angles, but I'm not sure.

But I get the same problem that I have with the Windows version, the computer eventually freezes. That's because this game is heavy on VRAM and my 290x is dying. On Windows I can underclock VRAM, but on Linux I have no idea how to do that :P

Comment

But I get the same problem that I have with the Windows version, the computer eventually freezes. That's because this game is heavy on VRAM and my 290x is dying. On Windows I can underclock VRAM, but on Linux I have no idea how to do that :P
          And how would underclocking help any of that?

Comment

Originally posted by efikkan View Post
            And how would underclocking help any of that?
            I'm actually not sure, I read it somewhere in some random forum when I looked around to fix that freezing problem. It works ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
            My 290x was used for mining 24/7 for more than a year, with overclocked memory. That's why I bought it so cheap (180€ more than a year ago), and it seems it's a common problem with the reference model (shit Elpida memory). Also, it's running the 390x BIOS to get UEFI support... it's surpring it still works well, only needs downclocking on Rocket League and Witcher 2.

Pinging bridgman, I hope he knows how to do this on radeonsi

Comment

Performance is good when the game finishes loading, it starts the match before actually finishing loading all textures. Due to my games being stored in a LZMA compressed BTRFS volume, there is heavy stuttering while loading... after that, it works flawlessly maxed out (constant 60fps on vsync) at 1080p. I think grass looks a bit odd when looked on close angles, but I'm not sure.
              I have the same problem running it off an SSD, otherwise a similar setup (Manjaro, 16GiB RAM, R9 290, Mesa 12.1). Every online game will do this for the first 40-90 seconds, then works flawlessly until a stutter at the last second. I suspect the on-disk cache might help in this case but not too sure. Maybe there's something else that will help...

Edit: Much better with a few settings turned down and with DoF, Bloom, etc, off. Not perfect but it's playable.
              Last edited by ResponseWriter; 09-09-2016, 06:08 PM.

Comment

That is not about radeonsi, but about kernel driver... radeon driver will never get that, so use amdgpu that already has overdrive for chip clock and mem too.

Search SysFS for 'pp_sclk_od' and 'pp_mclk_od'... 'pp_mclk_od' is what you want

Comment

Very exciting... this was the only reason I still had windows installed, so I can finally stop dual booting. The game worked pretty well in wine, but then I couldn't stream it to steam link or laptop, and the controller support was a little hackish.

Works pretty well overall. Running at 1440p with everything maxed out except bloom & motion blur off, getting 100+ fps with GTX 970. None of the FXAA modes seem to work but MLAA does, and I got a hard X server lockup exiting the game one time.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                    That is not about radeonsi, but about kernel driver... radeon driver will never get that, so use amdgpu that already has overdrive for chip clock and mem too.

Search SysFS for 'pp_sclk_od' and 'pp_mclk_od'... 'pp_mclk_od' is what you want
                    I'm not fan of recompiling kernels... I'll stay with radeon for now.

Comment

Working...
                    X