Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unigine-Powered Sci-Fi MMORPG Turns To Crowdfunding

Phoronix: Unigine-Powered Sci-Fi MMORPG Turns To Crowdfunding

Earlier this year we heard of a science fiction MMORPG game making use of Unigine 2 after switching from Unreal Engine 4. It's been a few months since hearing about this game, which is targeting Linux support, but now there's a slew of new information as they just launched a Kickstarter campaign...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Interesting that they switched to Unigine from UE4.

Comment

Where do they mention Linux on their campaign page?

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
        Where do they mention Linux on their campaign page?
        I asked this exact question to devs.

Comment

They also basically say the playing this will be 18 euro per month. For that money I would need to put in more time than I could give it.

Comment

Is it a Halo clone? :P

18e/mo quota? Damn...

Comment

Yeah monthly subscriptions is something I just don't do any more, no matter how good it is. I don't mind buying stuff in f2p on occasion but that is all.

Comment

Yeah, the subscription model is just about dead, only WoW and FFXIV are really successful with that now. Both of those games have a fanbase they have built over more than a decade. Even other big title games haven't been able to manage thriving with a subscription model. Even if this game is able to handle the massive initial surge of players with zero bugs, they aren't going to make it.

Hopefully they are able to licence the engine to someone that can use it for an established IP. They should call up the Disney folks about slapping a Star Wars skin on it or something.

Comment

Shroud of the avatar is a MMO from Kickstarter which has received more than 10 million USD in funding and runs on Linux. It uses Unity 5.x and as far as I can tell they have been working with the Unity tech to improve Unity with Linux.

Comment

Working...
                  X