Having Fun With Virgil 3D On Arch Linux With Wayland, Libvirt, SPICE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having Fun With Virgil 3D On Arch Linux With Wayland, Libvirt, SPICE

Phoronix: Having Fun With Virgil 3D On Arch Linux With Wayland, Libvirt, SPICE

A Phoronix reader had success getting Virgil 3D up and running on Arch Linux with libvirt, SPICE, Virt-Manager, and Wayland...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm confused... does this work with a Windows guest? Or only Linux host and Linux guest? and if it does work with a Windows guest does it support directx?

Comment

Originally posted by risho View Post
      I'm confused... does this work with a Windows guest? Or only Linux host and Linux guest? and if it does work with a Windows guest does it support directx?
      Nope. There is no Windows/Direct3D support for now. Only Linux guests are supported.

Comment

Originally posted by morteasherah View Post

Nope. There is no Windows/Direct3D support for now. Only Linux guests are supported.
        "for now" does that mean that ultimately that's something that could work?

Comment

Yes. It is in their TODO list.

Comment

what is the overhead loss? similar to the overhead of the cpu in a vm? or is it like 25 percent overhead?

Comment

what is the overhead loss? similar to the overhead of the cpu in a vm? or is it like 25 percent overhead?
              Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

host\virgl
                Xonotic Normal 267 131
                Unigine Valley Ultra 2282 602
                Lightsmark 571 104
                Furmark 5344 5227
                Plot3D 62828 23735
                Volplosion 2211 2139

Comment

I'm excited to see progress with Virgil 3D. But my primary (and probably only) use case would be to run Windows guests. So I hope Windows/Direct3D support is on the way.

Comment

This is cool to see.

On the Windows guest / Linux host side, VMware Tools SVGA vGPU driver works pretty well with up-to DirectX 10 support and performance similar to Wine CSMT. No DirectX 11 or 12 support yet, unless you do GPU passthrough.

Comment

Working...
                    X