Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Really Worthwhile For AMDGPU Users On Ubuntu 16.04 To Upgrade Their Kernel, Mesa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dungeon
    replied
    Use those 12 hawaii firmwares lower cased one, not those 9 older... just a guess

Leave a comment:

• Silverthorn
    replied
    I install the latest kernel (v4.8-rc3/) from the Ubuntu mainline kernel packages and added the padoka PPA. As soon as I installed the kernel and rebooted my OpenGL version dropped to version 3.3 (down from Ubuntu default 4.1).

I found these lines in dmesg | grep -i firm
    Code:
    [    2.513153] radeon 0000:01:00.0: Direct firmware load for radeon/hawaii_k_smc.bin failed with error -2
    [    2.513207] ci_fw: mixing new and old firmware!
    [    2.513265] [drm:cik_init [radeon]] *ERROR* Failed to load firmware!
    I tried to copy some new files from linux firmware git but it made no difference.

Using 390 hardware.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    See there Bonaire's 2 fps across the board up to 18 in the best case

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...8-RadeonSI-Git
    That is 2 fps on average, which means it goes from 0.5 fps up to 5 so ideal to be compared to the llvm-pipe

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    See there Bonaire's 2 fps across the board up to 18 in the best case

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Ignorance is futile as always, Hawaii and Bonaire are GCN 1.1 as we all know that He tested those too and show their huge regressions partialy, as it is not nice to see shit

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    Test those Hawaii, Bonaire... GCN 1.earler again, with either radeon or amdgpu - there are improvments there too, but opposite
    Looks like Michael took you up on your suggestion and tested a 270x. That's a GCN 1.0 Pitcairn card.

Found the same types of across the board improvements.

Leave a comment:

• frosth
    replied
    DIRT there is "wine-gaming-nine" aur pkgbuild (it's wine-staging+nine) or wine-nine binary form lcarlier's mesa-git repo if you prefer

Leave a comment:

• DIRT
    replied
    Just curious is there wine with gallium9 in manjaro? Last time I tried it was trying to compile parts of the xserver and I didn't feel like it was a good idea in a rolling distro. That and it was taking like 836 hours. /s

Leave a comment:

• Xen0sys
    replied
    Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
    The downside of using the above method is that when a new kernel version is out, you don't get it with your regular updates, so you have to manually install then. Remember that each kernel version (the 3 packages) use about 250 MB of space, so you will want to uninstall the old ones regularly.
    Why aren't there PPA's with the varying levels of kernels available for Debian?

Leave a comment:

• grigi
    replied
    Originally posted by frosth View Post

It's not exactly true, I've got desktop 7770 and some games run faster than before. Bioshock Inf, Tomb Raider, Spec Ops: The Line, Deadfall Adv. Propably some wine games like "stalker" series or "remember me" too. It's not make fury from my verde gfx but still nice when i can play with it.

...and amdgpu works fine (on low clocks due lack of dpm)
    Thanks for the update. disfunctional power mangement excludes me using it, since it is on my daily workstation. I need to actually be productive on it too!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X