No announcement yet.

Steam Survey For July 2016: Linux +0.02%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been using Steam a lot more recently, still never seen the damn survey.

For any Gentoo users out there, I've written a script to dynamically determine what packages need to be installed by scanning your Steam library if you don't want to use the provided runtime. It will hopefully replace the steam-games-meta package as it currently stands. Expect a pull request on the GitHub repo in the near future. Some testing would be appreciated.

Comment

Still really annoying, the first time in months that I started Steam in Windows, the survey came up. I haven't seen it in more than a year on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post

For any Gentoo users out there, I've written a script to dynamically determine what packages need to be installed by scanning your Steam library if you don't want to use the provided runtime. It will hopefully replace the steam-games-meta package as it currently stands. Expect a pull request on the GitHub repo in the near future. Some testing would be appreciated.
        Wow that sounds great! Thank you for contributing!

Comment

I am a Linux desktop user and I have only Archlinux installed in my laptop, but I have yet received any sort of survey when running Steam since I signed up(Well, not in Big Picture Mode)...

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post

OMG! Yes! Push that script into portage. It's a hell out here. Even if I get it installed (there is some ebuild in the gamerlay-overlay iirc.) I run into all sorts of problem during startup. Deleting bundled stuff only shifted the error messages and I got a bit further til it ceased operation. I had it running til, maybe 7 months ago, then iirc. after a mesa update it stopped working and that was basically it.
            (Okay, honestly, if I really had the time I could try it on my other (5 to 7) Gentoo installtions on other (low end) boxes, but then I currently lack time.)
            Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
              Hmmmmmmmm.
              Less then double more for XP 32 bit, but even more then quadro more raise for Windows 10 32bit

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              But ten times more than ReactOS.
              It seems there is a lot of ignorance among Linux users, even with nearly 2.5K games available

What i see as only steady raise there is percentage comparison of Linux vs OS X games by number, currently at about 66.5%... so only that number goes up
              Last edited by dungeon; 02 August 2016, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

There is no advantage in a 64-bit Steam client compared to 32-bit:
                • 32-bit address space is large enough for this app
                • performance would be the same
                • app stability would be the same
                • the user experience would be the same

32-bit version of an app consumes smaller amount of memory than 64-bit version of the app.
                Yes, the reason people want 64-bit is that they don't want to have to have dual (or more) versions of their libraries. I agree with this sentiment, it's quite annoying to have a parallel 32-bit environment.

Comment

What is annoying about having both 32-bit and 64-bit libraries installed?
                  Well, the Unix/Linux idea of "Lean and Mean", especially regarding a distribution like Gentoo, which seeks to unbundle all libraries from software, gets kind of forgotten when having to install two versions of every version of each library.
                  In the Gentoo case, you have to manually enable which libraries should be built twice, unless you just enable all of them. That in turn takes quite some extra compile time.

Comment

What is annoying about having both 32-bit and 64-bit libraries installed?
                    There is an issue in Debian and derivatives, where you cannot have two mesa libraries of different architectures because "hell if I know", so the 64bit one is screwed up or removed when you install Steam (so if you want to uninstall it you mus also reinstall such package/s).

For everyone else is just wasted storage as afaik.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
                      Well, the Unix/Linux idea of "Lean and Mean", especially regarding a distribution like Gentoo, which seeks to unbundle all libraries from software, gets kind of forgotten when having to install two versions of every version of each library.
                      In the Gentoo case, you have to manually enable which libraries should be built twice, unless you just enable all of them. That in turn takes quite some extra compile time.
                      Has anyone tried making a WORKING docker container with Steam in it? It would alleviate much of everyone's issues.

Comment

Working...
                      X