• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixxer_Linux
    replied
    Originally posted by reavertm View Post
    Agreed.
    And you are free to call it propaganda tool (it is, what's the problem here?) or whatever you wish and refuse to enjoy it as a game just for that purpose - or (especially when you're not US citizen) you can just play the game - quite nice multiplayer 3D shooter with at least acceptable graphics and good replayability - your choice.
    (I'm not referring to anyone particular here - 'you' = those who take more ideological approach - it's purely personal taste whether it's worthy to take it).

Besides, what's really that bad in advertising national military service? As long as you are free to decide for your own whether to join...

cheers

Beyond the propaganda, just to review the game, I found it boring as you need to do all the training stuff before playing. You must follow the orders. When I play a game, I want to shoot and kill, not to train myself before shooting. However, it's always nice to have a tutorial part in the game, just to learn the movement combination and the use of weapons, but in AA, this training part is far too much for my taste.

Leave a comment:

• Chris
    replied
    And you are free to call it propaganda tool (it is, what's the problem here?) or whatever you wish and refuse to enjoy it as a game just for that purpose - or (especially when you're not US citizen) you can just play the game
    For me, it becomes a problem when the game becomes preachy and pushy. I don't know if America's Army is like this, but as it's usually what propaganda implies, it really destroys the enjoyment when they keep pulling you to the side to say how great something is, when you really don't care and just want them to shut up.

Leave a comment:

• reavertm
    replied
    Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
    It's not "just a game". This game has been made for propaganda purpose. And if you don't belief this go read the official statements. They say it themselves that this is done for said purpose.
    Agreed.
    And you are free to call it propaganda tool (it is, what's the problem here?) or whatever you wish and refuse to enjoy it as a game just for that purpose - or (especially when you're not US citizen) you can just play the game - quite nice multiplayer 3D shooter with at least acceptable graphics and good replayability - your choice.
    (I'm not referring to anyone particular here - 'you' = those who take more ideological approach - it's purely personal taste whether it's worthy to take it).

Besides, what's really that bad in advertising national military service? As long as you are free to decide for your own whether to join...

cheers
    Last edited by reavertm; 09 September 2008, 12:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Dragonlord
    replied
    It's not "just a game". This game has been made for propaganda purpose. And if you don't belief this go read the official statements. They say it themselves that this is done for said purpose.

Leave a comment:

• reavertm
    replied
    Why do you care that much of possible propaganda there - it's just a game.

Leave a comment:

• Forge
    replied
    I played AA regularly and enjoyed it from initial betas up to the last Linux 2.5 release and even a bit beyond.

If they come back, I'll probably renew my contact info and account and start playing again.

If not, whatever. I don't expect much from them, the Army targets the majority, they want conformists who will mindlessly follow orders, and Linux/OSX doesn't follow that philosophy well.

Leave a comment:

• Extreme Coder
    replied
    Originally posted by Fixxer_Linux View Post
    Eventhough it's nice to have another game natively running with linux, America's army is not exactly the game I like to play as I see some US government propaganda in this game.
    After all, this is game is only made for US teens that could then change their mind upon enroling in US army and then going in Iraq or somewhere else to fight "against the bad axe".

I don't say it's good or bad to enrole in US army, I just say that I don't want that video games become a way of political propaganda.
    Just for that, I don't want to play AA and rather play terrorist in CSS !
    lol, so true here.. :P

Leave a comment:

• xav1r
    replied
    I agree, stupid military propaganda tool, rather pathetic that the us army has to resort to these kind of gimmicks to get naive fools to enlist. I thought the usa said patriotism was in an all time high!

Leave a comment:

• Dragonlord
    replied
    With Fixxer_Linux here. It's propaganda material of the worst. I would never touch it no matter what platform it's for. I've done my military service myself ( obligatory in my country ) so I do not need such propaganda ( maybe some understand now why I like Deus-Ex for providing me with means to "not kill" and still win )

Leave a comment:

• TechMage89
    replied
    I don't have a problem with America's Army being propaganda of sorts. It never pretends to be anything else, and nothing about it is blatantly false or misleading. I would like to see a new port for Linux. It sounds like that will only happen if one of the devs spends his spare time doing that, though, and it will depend on the next version being OpenGL-based.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X