New SteamOS Beta Bundles Interesting AMDGPU-PRO Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by atomsymbol

bridgman: I would like to ask why was Steam given access to a newer amdgpu-pro driver (16.30.1 in particular, 16.40.0 is ok for just today) ahead of other Linux users. In my opinion this kind of policy is going against open-source culture.
    Do you know that Catalyst is still supported and updated on Linux, they updated it one month ago but for pro cards only... just as example, version is 15.302.2001

http://support.amd.com/en-us/downloa...4#catalyst-pro

Does anyone repackage this? With and without X, i don't think so... but it might even work somewhat on regular consumer hardware who knows It depends on asic/os market (where every distro is another OS...)what will someone get sort of "blob, blob here and blob, blob there" scheme... versioning is secondary thing Windows is no better too, for example:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/downloa...indows+10+-+64

So latest hotfix is 16.6.2, but if you have this and this B/P APUs use 15.12 and if APU is not listed use 16.3.2 A lot can be concluded just from download page, like that they dumping 32bit OS support, etc...

Whatever, It is "blob, blob here and blob, blob there" scheme, no idea how better really to describe that
    Last edited by dungeon; 01 July 2016, 12:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

May I ask whether the drivers at http://repo.steampowered.com/steamos...pro-installer/ contain just steamos-specific fixes and don't contain any performance improvements nor new features?
      Those drivers are not for general distro re/use, if you look closely you will see those missing OpenCL for example, while regular ones have it...

I think this is something for testing purpose (vulkan maybe mainly, as they pushing it too it make sense to have newest bits early) so some sort of AMD/Valve deal like "knock-knock, give me something early from beta branch every month"
      Last edited by dungeon; 30 June 2016, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by beniwtv View Post
        So, am I to assume that the Steam OS 16.40.x driver is not yet fully supporting the RX 480?
        Will you guys be providing them with new drivers?
        That is my guess, will find out what the plan is for Steam-iness and RX 480-iness to merge. The production Polaris changes literally came in during the last few days so I suspect the 16.40 branch only has support for engineering samples not production parts.
        Test signature

Comment

would love if someone can post clinfo,glxinfo, and vulkaninfo of 16.40 branch and also if possible 16.30.3 branch to see if 16.40 branch brings finally OpenCL 2.0 support like old fgrlx drivers and also some new OpenCL extensions, OpenGL and VUlkan extensions..
          better with GCN 1.2 products like Tonga or Fiji..
          thanks..

Comment

beniwtv

glx-alternative-amdgpu-pro in SteamOS has a hack that enables the driver on install for Bonaire only. Logicial that you needed to adjust something. For Debian i removed another hack that would trigger fglrx as glx alternative on uninstall, they do not even check if it is installed... ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
              beniwtv

glx-alternative-amdgpu-pro in SteamOS has a hack that enables the driver on install for Bonaire only. Logicial that you needed to adjust something. For Debian i removed another hack that would trigger fglrx as glx alternative on uninstall, they do not even check if it is installed... ​​​​​​
              Yes, exactly. That is why I was thinking this driver only is working correctly with Bonaire.
              The 10.30.x driver (for Ubuntu on the AMD website) does not install, so I could not test that, as there is again a problem with update-alternatives, complaining it can't install the amdgpu_pro alternative as master as it is a slave of glx.

Comment

Most likely it was only tested with Bonaire, but you can use it for anything, drivers are generic as usual.

Comment

Working...
                X