The Relative Windows vs. Linux Performance For NVIDIA, Intel & AMD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by totex71 View Post
    Where? sure there is webshops but have you ever seen a computer store in a city with linux on them?
    I'm sure I can find a store selling brand new computers with Linux here in Finland just a few kilometers from where I'm sitting now. And I'm not thinking of phones or tablets, but laptops. They are called Chromebooks. Well it's not GNU/Linux, but at least it's Linux.

Originally posted by totex71 View Post
    Edit: Also if you buy a new laptop in my country and it stops working and you have removed windows from it. Guess what? no replacement for you until you buy a new windows copy from the store itself for over 150$. They wont take it back if its not in the exact condition it was "software wise" when you booted it up for the first time. which is the exact reason i stopped buying laptops or any kind of hardware that i can't repair myself. They don't exactly make it easy for you if you want to keep ur warranty do they?...
    Are you talking about returning it or warranty (just checking)? Because how can you return a broken device in the exact condition if it's not already broken when you bought it. Anyway your consumer protection sucks, big time.

Here we can use any OS we want and it can't affect the warranty of the hardware. Although sometimes it might be possible that the seller could blame the software for the fault, but they would need to prove it, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post
      By the way, don't forget that a lot of AAA Linux games are actually PS4 to XB1 to Windows to Linux port... that hurts!
      Haha. Funny, but how realistic is this:
      iOS to Android to PS4 to XB1 to Windows to OSX to Linux port running on FreeBSD

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post

That should be much easier these days. Windows 8 and 10 both save the serial and license information in EFI, aka the BIOS. So you can download a copy of Windows from Microsoft, run the installer and it will load up a fresh Windows install and authenticate it.

I suppose you may still have an issue if the retailer wants the device to have *exactly* the OEM Windows install with all of the crapware included. OEMs might have restore image downloads available too.

Or of course if you thought ahead you would have made a Windows system restore image after getting the machine and before wiping out the Windows install. Or you could leave the recovery partitions on the disk instead of wiping them out.

Personally, I always leave the Windows install on mine. I just shove it into about 30 GB and ignore it. I paid for it, I may as well have it available.
        And thats exactly the issue. You can't get rid of windows no matter how much you want to. You are more or less forced to use it in some way. Atleast thats what they intend.
        I can't even wipe my own harddrive without losing warranty.
        But they are gonna trust me to reinstall the operating system for them and not put any malicious stuff on it as long as i pay for the dvd from Packard Bell? Come on...
        They got plenty of dvd's and licensed that they are gonna use to reinstall it anyway by them self to make sure all is working inside the machine before reselling it. So why can't they have us decide if we wanna keep windows or not, thats what i really don't understand...
        Unless they just don't care who had their fingers inside the machine before reselling, which im pretty sure is the case.
        Also i don't have a reason to think ahead and make a backup of something that im never going to use...

Comment

Originally posted by Tomin View Post
          I'm sure I can find a store selling brand new computers with Linux here in Finland just a few kilometers from where I'm sitting now. And I'm not thinking of phones or tablets, but laptops. They are called Chromebooks. Well it's not GNU/Linux, but at least it's Linux.

Are you talking about returning it or warranty (just checking)? Because how can you return a broken device in the exact condition if it's not already broken when you bought it. Anyway your consumer protection sucks, big time.

Here we can use any OS we want and it can't affect the warranty of the hardware. Although sometimes it might be possible that the seller could blame the software for the fault, but they would need to prove it, I think.
          They blamed it on linux alright. And thats what pissed me off because the light in the monitor broke 3 days after i bought it and they could not tell the difference between a bios screen and when you are booting from the harddrive so they assumed it was linux that was the cause and i should just reinstall windows to fix it.... God it makes me mad just thinking about it...
          And don't you even try to convince me a chromebook is running a real linux distro. It has google all over it. Might as well call android for linux while we are at it. I can't stand cloud based devices and i wont support it. I like to have my files on the computer so i don't rely on internet everywhere i go. I just want to be able to buy a normal laptop without any shit involved that has powerfull hardware and a large 1tb harddrive. Chromebooks don't meet any of those requerments...
          Last edited by totex71; 27 June 2016, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
            It still boggles my mind why you would bother porting a game to linux, particularly a AAA title, and then not bother with any optimising. Surely there are some quick things they could look for to bring some of those games into the realm of passable. I wouldn't pay money for those games with such pathetic performance, and especially after seeing a certain company's resposne to such practices, I'm not holding my breath for the future, either.
            No company is going to go through the headache of doing a proper DirectX to OpenGL re-write of their graphical backend. It's easier to just go through a wrapper and call it a day.

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
              It still boggles my mind why you would bother porting a game to linux, particularly a AAA title, and then not bother with any optimising. Surely there are some quick things they could look for to bring some of those games into the realm of passable. I wouldn't pay money for those games with such pathetic performance, and especially after seeing a certain company's resposne to such practices, I'm not holding my breath for the future, either.
              Seriously??? You should be happy it works in Linux at all... Linux desktop gamers are literally a drop in the ocean and generate basically no income, so you can be sure most companies don't give a rats ass you wouldn't pay money for it. People who are serious about playing games don't use Linux for it anyway.

Comment

Working...
              X