No announcement yet.

The Relative Windows vs. Linux Performance For NVIDIA, Intel & AMD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The poor Xonotic performance on Linux with the Intel driver was one of the biggest surprises from yesterday's article. It's not anything we've seen with the other drivers.
    Maybe you can test some AMD APUs fglrx vs mesa or win vs mesa... it might be possibile that only iGPUs are somehow affected (sort of affected more then dGPUs), hitting that slowness in xonotic with mesa.
    Last edited by dungeon; 25 June 2016, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Maybe you can test some AMD APUs fglrx vs mesa or win vs mesa... it might be possibile that only iGPUs are somehow affected (sort of affected more then dGPUs), hitting that slowness in xonotic with mesa.
      Unlikely, too much work when doing all of the original AMD Win vs. Lin tests brought in less than $100... Like 2 new subscribers and some tips was all....
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

OK it is no rush, just thinking a bit... most similar to Intel iGPU are AMD iGPU so just guessing it might be some general mesa bug exclusive to those

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post

Which exacerbates the issue. It's a bit of a chicken and egg situation. Low sales for AAA tiles, "look! low numbers and no real uptake. We'll can future linux projects".
          Not really, no. If there was interest in Linux gaming, low budget and/or indie games would sell a lot first. And that would making proper AAA development worthwhile. There's no chicken and egg here.
          The reality is Linux sucks on the desktop. Only us, tech-savvy guys, use it and by doing so we accept bugs/shortcomings that would make regular users (and tech websites) go berserk if they occurred on Windows or OS X (see various disruptions caused by Qt/GTK+ changes, issues related to X or having to install an application one package at a time).
          Don't get me wrong, Linux is an amazing piece of software (probably the best I know), but no distro is a mass market product and they all suffer as such.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            ... issues related to X ...
            Bite your tongue!

Comment

The reality is Linux sucks on the desktop. Only us, tech-savvy guys, use it and by doing so we accept bugs/shortcomings that would make regular users (and tech websites) go berserk if they occurred on Windows or OS X (see various disruptions caused by Qt/GTK+ changes, issues related to X or having to install an application one package at a time)
              I have to disagree here. What you say was certainly true in the past, but for the last couple of years I have generally found Linux desktops to be less problematic than Windows. The funny part recently is that I've been finding that LibreOffice is opening more of the office docs floating around on internal email than the IT-configured MS Office tools.

My impression is that the Year of the Linux Desktop arrived some time ago, and nobody noticed because they were too busy arguing about whether or not this was the Year of Linux Gaming
              Test signature

Comment

The thing that surprises me is that Shadow of Mordor does reasonably well, while other Feral ports are actually quite bad.

Actually, the main thing I see in this data is that the higher the fps is, the larger the difference with the Windows performance. This is not so weird because higher fps means that things get more cpu bound than gpu bound and this is made even worse by wrapper code. It'd be interesting to see the tests when graphical settings are chosen to remain around 60 fps mark. Obviously that won't work with a GTX 1080 ;-)

Comment

Not really, no. If there was interest in Linux gaming, low budget and/or indie games would sell a lot first. And that would making proper AAA development worthwhile. There's no chicken and egg here.
                  The reality is Linux sucks on the desktop. Only us, tech-savvy guys, use it and by doing so we accept bugs/shortcomings that would make regular users (and tech websites) go berserk if they occurred on Windows or OS X (see various disruptions caused by Qt/GTK+ changes, issues related to X or having to install an application one package at a time).
                  Don't get me wrong, Linux is an amazing piece of software (probably the best I know), but no distro is a mass market product and they all suffer as such.
                  I will be more than happy to know what kind of bugs you are occuring that makes the linux desktop less useable and stressfull than windows for a normal user. Please enlighten me.
                  Just look at windows 10, you are forced to get your drivers from windows updates. And if they don't work you are out of luck and have to buy new hardware that supports it. You can't just go and install the driver urself because it will get overwritted by windows update and there is no way to turn it off unless you bought the win10 pro edition(clever move by those scumbags..). I just can't see how you think this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMKnMvwc3qs is more user friendly...

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

I have to disagree here. What you say was certainly true in the past, but for the last couple of years I have generally found Linux desktops to be less problematic than Windows. The funny part recently is that I've been finding that LibreOffice is opening more of the office docs floating around on internal email than the IT-configured MS Office tools.

My impression is that the Year of the Linux Desktop arrived some time ago, and nobody noticed because they were too busy arguing about whether or not this was the Year of Linux Gaming
                    The mere fact that we have three suppliers of video cards and three ways to install video drivers makes the Linux desktop more confusing to use than Windows.
                    Everything about the Linux desktop is inconsistent. And yes, it gets better and better and more stable. Until someone decides there's too much legacy code and starts rewriting it (almost) from scratch. What the end user wants instead is something more like OS X - stable (in looks and functionality), no matter what goes on in the back end.
                    Personally, I understand and appreciate that Linux is supposed to be a whole different animal. Otherwise I wouldn't lash out at debianxfce whenever he tells us "there can be only one".
                    What makes Linux great for us, tech users, is also what keeps it away from the masses. I don't see that changing.

totex71 Perhaps you're not familiar with Restore Points. Also, this is not about what I think, it's about what the average user thinks. And what they think is: https://www.netmarketshare.com/opera...10&qpcustomd=0

Comment

And meanwhile, our company (multi center spread across several swiss universities) is heavily Unix leaning, with nearly every one running on either MacOS X (mostly on laptops) or Linux (mainly CentOS or Ubuntu, more frequently on workstations).
                      And that's only the user facing stuff. Under the hood (on the servers) we're probably somewhere around 99% linux (exception being the occasionnal Windows VMWare image, and a few legacy unices like Solaris).

But, okay: we're scientist, we're no very representative of the general population.

On the other hand, most of the general population, - specially younger generations - for their casual use (Facebook, Mail, etc.) has sowly moved to embed devices (tablet, smartphones and phablets) so most of them ARE running a Linux kernel (just on combined with the weird "I can't beleive it's not Java" userland called Android instead of regular GNU).

Comment

Working...
                      X