The Number Of Linux Games Has More Than Quadrupled In The Past Two Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post

We're entering the age where that was relevant a decade and a half ago. The rest of the world has moved on, why not you?
    I can't get a simple image sditor as PAINT (stand alone few bytes utility) able to cut, to cut and resize , having scanner implementation, on linux. All operations are so farraginous. For example cutting an image resizing it on other image moving the sized image onto the other one. Paint little bytes works. Linux has to improve on efficiency.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
      I think that games like League Of Legends and World Of tanks would bring many people by themselves into Linux. Myself included.

Well LoL I don't think so they bring it for linux(Even I ask to their support at twitter and they recommend me guide with Wine), see their port of Mac everyone complain about it. At less with LoL you can play perfect with PoL(Play on Linux), the other game never hear about it. Anyway if you like moba game you can play Dota 2, I used to play LoL but I begin to play Dota 2 and I like it more than Lol right now, I sometimes played LoL with PoL not issue it all.
      Last edited by raonlinux; 06 June 2016, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
        I can't get a simple image sditor as PAINT (stand alone few bytes utility) able to cut, to cut and resize , having scanner implementation, on linux. All operations are so farraginous. For example cutting an image resizing it on other image moving the sized image onto the other one. Paint little bytes works. Linux has to improve on efficiency.
        You tried Krita?

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
          The package is called kolourpaint and does exactly what you want. Next time check before ranting, it's more efficient ;-).

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
            I think that games like League Of Legends and World Of tanks would bring many people by themselves into Linux. Myself included.
            I used to think that about Counterstrike back in the day when it was popular. Time passed and we got a port, but the people didn't come cause it's not popular any more. Same thing with Dota2, etc. People will always find one little thing that will be "essential" for them as a reason not to switch, when in reality they are just against learning anything new.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post

I used to think that about Counterstrike back in the day when it was popular. Time passed and we got a port, but the people didn't come cause it's not popular any more. Same thing with Dota2, etc. People will always find one little thing that will be "essential" for them as a reason not to switch, when in reality they are just against learning anything new.
              I need to put a +1000 on this.

A decade ago people ALWAYS had "1" printer / wifi / usb toy / apple $hit that was undetected or with missing features and they needed it

Now that hardware support and stability are near perfect they whine because they ALWAYS have "1" program not installable or that have bugs, and they needed it

Tomorrow: Linux is not a gaming machine because Ubuntu has a violet background image, they want a blue by default, and they need it.

( During this time Google sells more and more Chrome OS... 0% compatible with anything )

No real Linux market explosion can happen if no BIG company, known by the public, carry it (Facebook? HP? Kanye West?)

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post

I need to put a +1000 on this.

A decade ago people ALWAYS had "1" printer / wifi / usb toy / apple $hit that was undetected or with missing features and they needed it

Now that hardware support and stability are near perfect they whine because they ALWAYS have "1" program not installable or that have bugs, and they needed it

Tomorrow: Linux is not a gaming machine because Ubuntu has a violet background image, they want a blue by default, and they need it.

( During this time Google sells more and more Chrome OS... 0% compatible with anything )

No real Linux market explosion can happen if no BIG company, known by the public, carry it (Facebook? HP? Kanye West?)
                I am always positive about Linux desktop addaptation, but THIS.

Linux is fine as desktop. All it needs is huge marketing push. Problem is that Windows is still not horrible enough for vendors for them to consider to but their marketing money behind Linux - well besides Dell, because their Linux product lineup sells well - so that's still lingering on.

That's why I don't put huge hopes for big increase in share. Although that doesn't mean I don't want Linux desktop to be awesome. I want. That's why I keep believe in.

Comment

The misconception is that we'll not see all the Windows games go to be Linux games, and that's not really a problem.

We'll see more and more that games will be developed for (almost) ALL platforms, thanx to Vulkan.
                  In time, DX12 will become less relevant and Vulkan more relevant.
                  This will be accelerating because there is no (technical) reason not to, except maybe bribery from MS for some AAA titles.

It's not that far away since the Linux user-base in Asia / Russia is growing fast, and MS is already preparing the post-Windows Kernel era by incorporating the Linux Kernel into it, and by transforming their software stack to Linux (too).

It's like an avalanche. Suddenly, nobody can afford to miss that new dominant market.
                  Last edited by YYYY; 06 June 2016, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pecisk View Post

I am always positive about Linux desktop addaptation, but THIS.

Linux is fine as desktop. All it needs is huge marketing push. Problem is that Windows is still not horrible enough for vendors for them to consider to but their marketing money behind Linux - well besides Dell, because their Linux product lineup sells well - so that's still lingering on.

That's why I don't put huge hopes for big increase in share. Although that doesn't mean I don't want Linux desktop to be awesome. I want. That's why I keep believe in.
                    Even Dell felt on the ground as fast as a corrupted boxer.

Basically M$ increased (or warned about) their Windows licence cost the day they put Ubuntu laptops in stores... In an hyper competitive market they u-turned quickly and 3 month later their website did not even mention "Linux". You could still find their Ubuntu products, but only with the search bar.

On the other side I saw in Thailand a lot of computers sold with Opensuse in stores (~25%), so this strategy seems to work mainly in US and EU.
                    Is it the Windows 8+ ugly effect? the price? or do buyers install Windows after on? I do not know...

Comment

Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post

The package is called kolourpaint and does exactly what you want. Next time check before ranting, it's more efficient ;-).
                      I think he wanted something that takes up little to no disk space. There's also mtPaint, rgbPaint (400KB), GNU Paint and Gnome Paint. All of these are less than 2MB and have similar capabilities as MS Paint.

PS: Oops, quoted the wrong post. This was in response to the Krita suggestion.

Comment

Working...
                      X