No announcement yet.

The Number Of Linux Games Has More Than Quadrupled In The Past Two Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1/4 of Steam Library its much better than before, but for switch to Linux like gaming platform we would need at least 3/4 or 90% for new releases.

Lets be greedy, its not fast enough, i would like to see Linux like real gaming platform in 2 years, but i dont think that it is possible without any big change, Valve not pushing enough, so we need other big player to do big things..
    Last edited by ruthan; 05 June 2016, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wagaf View Post
      Quadrupling means exactly what it means. I don't think anyone needs any explanation about it.

Even 500 games was significant and an amazing achievement for Linux gaming.
      Having now 2200 games while there are 8000 on Windows, in just a couple of years, is just crazy.
      The fact that it went so fast, more than quadrupling in just two years, shows there is actual developer interest for the platform.

I enjoyed a lot playing Borderland 2 and The Talos Principle, thanks to Steam on Linux.
      i think you misunderstood. achievement is abnormal. even consoles don't get games as fast when they start new line. and hopefully the flow will be constant.

i was only referring to phoronix title sensationalism where later we can expect something like "only double compared to previous quadruple, world is falling apart... news at 11".

Comment

While Linux is still not a major gaming platform, the change in the recent years is incredible!
        Remember when nobody would believe that steam would get ported? And now we are judging how many games are already ported!

But not every port is worth the money, some are excellent, others are ported poorly and never touched again ...
        On of the really nice games I found recently is War for the Overworld, a fun remake of Dungeon Keeper

Comment

Yes the future is looking bright for Linux, despite driver issues (may be all good by end of year I hope).

If Rockstar/Bethesda released GTA5/Fallout4 Linux ports, man that would make some serious waves. Hell even if Witcher3 came to Linux.... Those 3 games are pretty high on my list for being game changes for Linux.

Comment

SteamOS is a great success!

Comment

Originally posted by wagaf View Post
              Even 500 games was significant and an amazing achievement for Linux gaming.
              Having now 2200 games while there are 8000 on Windows, in just a couple of years, is just crazy.
              The fact that it went so fast, more than quadrupling in just two years, shows there is actual developer interest for the platform.
              Linux is the inevitable developer platform of choice. Developers and CLI go hand in hand. Now that we're seeing Unity Engine, Unreal Engine and Far Cry Engine, Source, Source 2 and Source 3. We're beginning to see utilities to promote game developers like Substance Painter, Pixeluvo for Photos, and you can even run Photoshop CS6 on wine with fairly good quality when using open GPU drivers.

In my time I get to sit back and watch this Berlin wall of Software come down. We're entering a age where GIMP 2.9 is porting to GTK3 and is actually starting to offer increased image manipulation utility.

So far we have 25.3443526% of windows games, there's plenty to play although once we get between 50-80% we'll get to cherry pick a bit more.

Now begins the dawn of the age of open source.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
                We're entering a age where GIMP 2.9 is porting to GTK3 and is actually starting to offer increased image manipulation utility.
                We're entering the age where that was relevant a decade and a half ago. The rest of the world has moved on, why not you?

Comment

Linux is the inevitable developer platform of choice. Developers and CLI go hand in hand. Now that we're seeing Unity Engine, Unreal Engine and Far Cry Engine, Source, Source 2 and Source 3. We're beginning to see utilities to promote game developers like Substance Painter, Pixeluvo for Photos, and you can even run Photoshop CS6 on wine with fairly good quality when using open GPU drivers.

In my time I get to sit back and watch this Berlin wall of Software come down. We're entering a age where GIMP 2.9 is porting to GTK3 and is actually starting to offer increased image manipulation utility.

So far we have 25.3443526% of windows games, there's plenty to play although once we get between 50-80% we'll get to cherry pick a bit more.

It is called CryEngine. Ubisoft bought the Far Cry IP from CryTek back in 2006: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/9..._IP_Rights.php

Far Cry 2 and on use the so called Dunia Engine which is a distant descendant of CryEngine: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunia_Engine

So the Far Cry series has little to do with CryEngine at this point. Source 3? I think you are skipping ahead a bit. Source Engine 2 AFAIK has Dota 2 as its only game so far. So Source Engine 2 is the most recent version of the engine(a distant descendant of the original Quake engine btw), not Source Engine 3.

Comment

LOL GIMP, seriously gimp is against produtivity, how someone can be hyped about it lol

Comment

I think that games like League Of Legends and World Of tanks would bring many people by themselves into Linux. Myself included.

Comment

Working...
                      X