Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine-Staging 1.9.11 Begins Looking Towards DOOM On Linux

Phoronix: Wine-Staging 1.9.11 Begins Looking Towards DOOM On Linux

Spun from last week's Wine 1.9.11 release is the new Wine-Staging version that re-bases many existing experimental patches (such as the D3D command-stream multi-threading work) plus adds in some new patches that aren't yet ready to be mainlined in Wine...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

They're playing a dangerous game. If Denuvo runs under wine, it makes debugging it easier, because all the source is available. Then come the lawsuits...

Comment

When copy protection didn't work in the old days, I used to look for the nocd binary patches as a work around (I did own the games) - I guess most multiplayer games will be more strict

Comment

Seriously hoping this will work out fine. I would love to play this title. Usually I only play Linux native games, but I do want to set up a WINE prefix just for this.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
          They're playing a dangerous game. If Denuvo runs under wine, it makes debugging it easier, because all the source is available. Then come the lawsuits...

no, why should it? Same thing with other content protection systems which are working on top of wine.

Comment

When DOOM eventually moves to Vulkan, hopefully that means less work for the WINE team.

Comment

no, why should it? Same thing with other content protection systems which are working on top of wine.
              It's not really a content protection system on its own but rather one that is supposed to prevent people from debugging stuff and/or running a modified executable. As far as any kind of DRM goes, though, being able to run it is basically as good as being able to circumvent it (guess why there is pretty much no legal way to watch BluRay movies on a PC unless you want to bet like 60€ on whether PowerDVD is able to even display the intro without crashing), and the least I expect is a set of patches that prevents Wine from running it and VAC bans for everyone even trying to run the multi-player part of the game on Linux.

The WineHQ bug report for DOOM doesn't yield too much info about Denuvo's internals, but it's an interesting read none the less.

Comment

Not sure how to feel about it. On one hand I personally think developers shouldn't support any DRM trash, and users should simply avoid buying games that use it, voting with their wallets. But on the other hand if developers are cracking this DRM in the process - then I welcome such effort.
                Last edited by shmerl; 31 May 2016, 07:38 PM.

Comment

The best DRM is just a Multiplayer checker to ensure you have a valid copy of the game. Really is annoying when they apply it to the whole title and problems like this arise...

Comment

How times have changed from the release of dhewm... 😞

Comment

Working...
                    X