Dota 2 Vulkan vs. OpenGL Performance Redux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Yes except when I am working and people viewing this site are using ad-blockers (around 50% of them...) so I am not able to be compensated for all my work. Similarly, a lot of the PTS work where many companies choose not to take advantage of commercial offerings.
    Well Michael if you are getting that desperate, its time to widen your horizons. Ever heard of PTC? They pay people to click ads but, you can also promote your site with them and then you will have lots of ad views/clicks and its dirt cheap to get your site listed in those. Also have you contacted the Brave browser people? You might get some BTC from them as well. Want more subscribers? Accept crypto currency and lower those fees or do some promotions.

Remember in the end, as i have been telling you these years; serve your own ads from your own servers and charge premium for those. Most blockers DON'T block ads originating from the very same server the content is from, try visiting distrowatch to see how they do it.

Or you can keep whining and people will keep blocking, and maybe your business model will stop being profitable and you will be remembered as someone who just blamed the users instead of adapting to the new reality.

The idea from the PTCs and Brave is the same: You share a bit of your ad earnings with that very people seeing them, in exchange of voluntary unblocking. You are literally paying people to stop the blocking. You will still get the bigger cut, and increase your ad views exponentially.

Comment

dang_valve could you maybe confirm, that there are no visual differences in the different render paths?
      Are all rendering features supported using any API? I heard the d3d9 version is faster because it lacks features and looks worse. Are d3d11/ogl/vulkan on par?

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
        Something really odd is happening.
        The results look cpu-bound but the cpu usage graphs tell us something else.
        Is this, possibly, limited to one or two threads(I didn't see that data given in the article)?
        The same I noticed. Probably the game is running the main loop on a single thread, maybe another thread runs the rendering and other ancillary minor threads do some other less complicate stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
          These new APIs are useless, which is what I said from the get-go.
          They're not useless, they're lower level. Just how asm, being lower level than C, does not make C obsolete. Each one has its uses.
          In the end, APIs are tools. And just like the plumber doesn't come to your house with a single tool, programmers too need options.

Comment

Originally posted by Artemis3
            Accept crypto currency
            Michael has accepted BTC for years now.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              Michael has accepted BTC for years now.
              how does it work, then?
              looking there https://www.phoronix.com/forums/settings/subscriptions it only provides me paypal
              If I have to contact him personally, that's not really cool. Why is this not automated?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

What country are you located in? What browser? Any other ad-related blocking plugins?
                Michael i suffer from the same problem.
                I use uBlock Origin and uMatrix, both disabled. I am from Portugal. No ads show up.

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post

how does it work, then?
                  looking there https://www.phoronix.com/forums/settings/subscriptions it only provides me paypal
                  If I have to contact him personally, that's not really cool. Why is this not automated?
                  Because vBulletin doesnt have any automated support, that the user wanting to pay BTC just needs to send me the BTC and then email me his username.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Since we've derived to the website subject, it would be well appreciated if Phoronix was less vBulletin centric.
                    Having to log in the forum to access the web site isn't very usual, as well as handling your subscription in the account manager of the forum.

Signed: a premium member

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post
                      Since we've derived to the website subject, it would be well appreciated if Phoronix was less vBulletin centric.
                      Having to log in the forum to access the web site isn't very usual, as well as handling your subscription in the account manager of the forum.

Signed: a premium member
                      I'm another premium member, and I can confirm that these forums are the worst. Poor bridgman has to post everything 5 times before he actually gets anything through the spam filter. It's ridiculous that premium members or people who have posted > 1000 times still get caught in it. And i get weird bugs in the forums every now and then as well.

I'm really liking the ad-free home page and articles though. Definitely worth the money.

Comment

Working...
                      X