Valve Is Finally Releasing Dota 2 With Vulkan Support Very Soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Truly wonderful the mind of a zealot is. It's only logical that if you swear by open software, you should be entitled to free hardware as well. /s

Also, is Dota2 suffering from driver bottleneck? Because if it isn't, Vulkan won't do much for this title. My guess is Valve wants to check for correctness first (like Croteam) and move to demanding titles after they confirm Dota2 is ok.
    Last time I tried it on my HD 7970M, 2 months ago: https://youtu.be/30oAl4nHGLY?t=96

You decide.

Comment

Also, is Dota2 suffering from driver bottleneck? Because if it isn't, Vulkan won't do much for this title. My guess is Valve wants to check for correctness first (like Croteam) and move to demanding titles after they confirm Dota2 is ok.
      Well, I think, especially with AMD on Linux with OpenGL, every game is bottlenecked. It might improve just from the usage of Vulkan, like in The Talos Principle.

I think, the render backend should be quite isolated. So yeah, porting the games to source2 is obviously the first step, using Vulkan won't be that hard then, I guess.
      BTW: I'm not quite sure about Source games, do they still use DX9 on Windows or OpenGL, too? Valve might want to simplify here, too, not only gain performance.

Comment

Truly wonderful the mind of a zealot is. It's only logical that if you swear by open software, you should be entitled to free hardware as well. /s

I would imagine DOTA is much more limited by the CPU; MOBA's aren't exactly graphically demanding titles. DOOM would be a much better benchmark in that regard.

In my mind, neither DX12 or Vulcan is going to give much in pure GPU performance; the performance upgrades are more CPU driver side (and in Vulcans case, development side as well).

Comment

FYI: you're the only NVIDIA zealot here, as usual. paul666 (FOSS software vocal minority chief) hasn't yet appeared.

Most other people are talking of sane and brand-agnostic reasons like "there are no games on linux to justify it", or "you could buy more cards in the price ranges that matter for most of the readers" and so on. Some are suggesting a 1070 card, clearly not an AMD card.

Comment

Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post

I would imagine DOTA is much more limited by the CPU; MOBA's aren't exactly graphically demanding titles. DOOM would be a much better benchmark in that regard.

In my mind, neither DX12 or Vulcan is going to give much in pure GPU performance; the performance upgrades are more CPU driver side (and in Vulcans case, development side as well).
            Well yes, Vulkan is supposed to help precisely with title that are CPU limited by lowering the driver overhead. But if you're already running at 100fps, running at 150fps won't make you much happier.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              FYI: you're the only NVIDIA zealot here, as usual. paul666 (FOSS software vocal minority chief) hasn't yet appeared.

Most other people are talking of sane and brand-agnostic reasons like "there are no games on linux to justify it", or "you could buy more cards in the price ranges that matter for most of the readers" and so on. Some are suggesting a 1070 card, clearly not an AMD card.
              You've probably missed the post I was alluding to: https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...699#post872699

Telling Michael what to do with his cash (under threat) is a little out there for my taste.

Comment

It's not "telling Michael what to do", and not remotely related to a threat. If it seems to you like this, it may be caused by linguistic insufficiency of my own or you are just interpreting what you want to.
                It's advice/suggestion/wish as a reader and apparently there are more readers that think the same way.
                And, in case you missed it, I explicated my statements a bit more detailed in #18, just before your insulting "zealot" post.
                Last edited by juno; 19 May 2016, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lysius View Post
                  +1

"Hey Nvidia, please send me a free 1080, but If you don't do it, I'll give you money for the early adopter rip-off edition" sounds crazy.

Michael, I can understand buying a normal version of the 1070 after some weeks If you don't get one for free somewhere, but getting the 1080 really makes you look like you have too much money. Consider my premium membership canceled if you do.
                  Bye bye, really stupid. The 1080 seems cheaper than current cards, hence surely many people want such tests in the near future. If he doesn't get a free sample, it won't make much price difference only to wait some weeks. It's rather a question if he can afford it at all.

Comment

This is absurd. If your machine is so bad it can't handle Dota, then Vulcan isn't going to help you. CS:GO would be the obvious choice for Vulcan, where FPS actually matter.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                      This is absurd. If your machine is so bad it can't handle Dota, then Vulcan isn't going to help you. CS:GO would be the obvious choice for Vulcan, where FPS actually matter.
                      It's not absurd, I have explained above. First you take a less demanding title and port it to Vulkan to make sure you're rendering everything right. Then you take a demanding title and see if the additional load breaks anything. You could go straight with the demanding title, but then it would be harder to pinpoint stuff that breaks.
                      Those are both viable strategies, it just seems Valve went with the former here.

Comment

Working...
                      X