No announcement yet.

Valve Is Finally Releasing Dota 2 With Vulkan Support Very Soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now I just wonder when Amd will open source the Vulkan driver.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
      Doesn't this sort of confirm that Vulkan is soon to come to all source engine games then?
      I'd say yes and no.
      Source 2 games, some at least can see Vulkan port sometimes. It's not a trivial change from OpenGL to Vulkan. But it's engine that is changed, so porting should be much easier.

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post

I had the same thought

Nice, Valve, now go and port csgo to s2

Really, Michael?
        You are really going to buy the 1080? Well if you do so, I never want to see you begging for donations or I could not take you seriously agian...
        BTW, that link doesnt lead to anything pascal-related. The correct one would be this one, I guess: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...0-Embargo-Lift

Now just read to the commends of this article and listen to your readers for one single time.
        What's your problem?
        I for one, want to see those tests, and I give zero sh*** on how he got the card. Be realistic and stop whining.
        At the end of the day people give donations to appreciate job done.

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
          I'd say yes and no.
          Source 2 games, some at least can see Vulkan port sometimes. It's not a trivial change from OpenGL to Vulkan. But it's engine that is changed, so porting should be much easier.
          Errrr what?

Engine does exactly what it has to do here - it abstracts so game developer don't see OpenGL or Vulkan stuff. So yeah, if game developers will be willing to test and approve Vulkan support, it will be very low hanging fruit if they will be using Source 2.

TLDR majority of Source 2 will have Vulkan support from now on.

Comment

Really, Michael?
            You are really going to buy the 1080? Well if you do so, I never want to see you begging for donations or I could not take you seriously agian...
            BTW, that link doesnt lead to anything pascal-related. The correct one would be this one, I guess: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...0-Embargo-Lift

Now just read to the commends of this article and listen to your readers for one single time.
            +1

I also think Michael is already brown-nosing enough. If Nvidia doesn't want him to test their card - so what? It doesn't make sense to buy such expensive card, to not be able to play AAA games under Linux (because most of those games are not available for Linux).

Comment

Really, Michael?

Isn't that's what Michael say he does? Buys hardware, to test it with Linux stack over and over gain? I think that's sole goal for donations.

Comment

Really, Michael?

+1

"Hey Nvidia, please send me a free 1080, but If you don't do it, I'll give you money for the early adopter rip-off edition" sounds crazy.

Michael, I can understand buying a normal version of the 1070 after some weeks If you don't get one for free somewhere, but getting the 1080 really makes you look like you have too much money. Consider my premium membership canceled if you do.
                Last edited by Lysius; 19 May 2016, 04:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pecisk View Post
                  Isn't that's what Michael say he does? Buys hardware, to test it with Linux stack over and over gain? I think that's sole goal for donations.
                  In this thread have been lots of people complaining about Nvidia's strategy and they made the wish to include the card when Nouveau is ready for it.

And TBH it's just a crap investment, and I have the following reasons for that statement:
                  - AFAICS, the majority of Phoronix' readers doesn't buy graphics cards priced 700 USD. You could easily buy some really interesting cards for that.
                  - Plus, and that's the more important thing for me here, you could still go for the 1070. I don't see a full Hawaii in Michaels tests. I don't see a full Fiji. I don't see a full Tonga. Why a full GP104?
                  - If Michael continues this strategy, they'll never send him samples again. They don't send him a sample and he goes and says "cool, so I'm going to buy it on my own, it's just the highest priced mid-range card ever. For the next high-end card, I hope they'll send me one again". That just doesn't make sense
                  - And last but not least: Pascal is quite predictable, even more on Linux where there are not the AAA games using the newest cutting edge technologies. You can deduce the performance quite well from Maxwell.

If you donate for something, you don't just throw you money away, do you?
                  Last edited by juno; 19 May 2016, 04:42 AM.

Comment

Truly wonderful the mind of a zealot is. It's only logical that if you swear by open software, you should be entitled to free hardware as well. /s

Also, is Dota2 suffering from driver bottleneck? Because if it isn't, Vulkan won't do much for this title. My guess is Valve wants to check for correctness first (like Croteam) and move to demanding titles after they confirm Dota2 is ok.

Comment

Errrr what?

Engine does exactly what it has to do here - it abstracts so game developer don't see OpenGL or Vulkan stuff. So yeah, if game developers will be willing to test and approve Vulkan support, it will be very low hanging fruit if they will be using Source 2.

TLDR majority of Source 2 will have Vulkan support from now on.
                      I seriously doubt that Valve just uses vanilla engine for their own game, that means, they do optimisations on their own games, which is not submitted back into vanilla engine. That means that those optimisations will make vanilla engine incompatible with existing games that are optimised.
                      That can be 'fixed', but it takes time, etc.

Comment

Working...
                      X