Frozenbyte's Shadwen Launches, Recommends NVIDIA Proprietary Driver On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
    why are games so simplistic and boring these days.
    Had some interesting elements, I would need to play it a fair bit to get a idea of how well its gameplay is. Would you call Witcher 3 simple and boring also?

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post

Would you call Witcher 3 simple and boring also?
      No but i'd call it annoying and painfull to play, but that seems to be just me :P
      Anyways, there are really great games being made today, it can just be hard find them in the heaps of mediocre nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
        Did anyone test it with radeonsi / amdgpu?
        Just played the first chapter with amdgpu on Arch. It ran fine.

Comment

What do you mean?

Comment

Originally posted by Masush5 View Post
            No but i'd call it annoying and painfull to play, but that seems to be just me :P
            Anyways, there are really great games being made today, it can just be hard find them in the heaps of mediocre nonsense.
            Congratulations you found out that there are different genre of games and games you like and dont like ...

Comment

Have you read Hawking's "A Brief History of Time"? There's a passage in there where he tells about how the publisher told him that every equation in the book cuts the potential audience in half. Thus, Hawking only included E=mc^2.

It's the same with games: if you ask people to think too much, you limit your own audience. Not that every game should be a mental challenge, but publishers prefer to play it safe. This used to bother me, but I got over it when I discovered there are still gems to be played and I don't even have enough time for those.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                Did anyone test it with radeonsi / amdgpu?
                I was interested in the same. If you search the discussions for the game, there's a user reporting game working on radeonsi R7 370, however only windowed or windowed fullscreen. Straight fullscreen gives him issues. However a dev reacted that they will look into it.

EDIT: purchased for myself ... looks good enough for the price
                Last edited by haplo602; 18 May 2016, 05:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                  It's the same with games: if you ask people to think too much, you limit your own audience.
                  FYI: There are games for niche too, like most stuff from Paradox or Firaxis. You don't have to target EVERYONE, just aim for your niche.

The big issue in modern high-visibility games (those aiming for everyone) is that stuff gets dumbed down to appease retards and kiddies just because it's the surest way of getting $$$ from their parents.

An example on games I like:

I've yet to find a real-time strategy game that isn't 99% micromanaging ant-like beings, as the game AI sucks and cannot fucking remember a simple list of 3 things to do on its own , what to do when exiting the factory (not just "go here IN A STRAIGHT LINE or WITH THIS FIXED PATH") and so on.
                  I mean, it's just a sequental list of orders about actions they can do already, not something that requires AGI-grade code.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    FYI: There are games for niche too, like most stuff from Paradox or Firaxis. You don't have to target EVERYONE, just aim for your niche.

The big issue in modern high-visibility games (those aiming for everyone) is that stuff gets dumbed down to appease retards and kiddies just because it's the surest way of getting $$$ from their parents.

An example on games I like:

I've yet to find a real-time strategy game that isn't 99% micromanaging ant-like beings, as the game AI sucks and cannot fucking remember a simple list of 3 things to do on its own , what to do when exiting the factory (not just "go here IN A STRAIGHT LINE or WITH THIS FIXED PATH") and so on.
                    I mean, it's just a sequental list of orders about actions they can do already, not something that requires AGI-grade code.
                    Reading your example reminds me of Total Annihilation (and the disappointment the AI in Supreme Commander )

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                      Reading your example reminds me of Total Annihilation (and the disappointment the AI in Supreme Commander )
                      You get a cookie for remembering TA. That's probably still the best as far as low-micromanagement and AI goes.

SC was indeed pretty meh, basically a Age Of Empires in the future. Way too many units, way too many paths for tech and stuff, micromanagement clusterfuck like any other RTS around.

Also MAJOR disappointment in Planetary Annihilation (was suspecting it tho, so never paid for it, just tested it and maaaaan), because crap AI. Real fucking crap AI.
                      Screwing up pathfinding like that is something I've not seen in a while.

Comment

Working...
                      X