Civilization VI Is Coming This Year, Linux Will Be Supported

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BreezeDM View Post
    I'm not a great fan of the civ games but i did like that art style.

Comment

Great!
      Civ games are really cool. And I'm honestly looking forward to it as I really see the chance of Vulkan support.
      CIV:BE already has a mantle renderer. They showed interest in Linux with the last releases and the announcement. Seeing CIV:BE was more like a spin off (as "CIV 6" also suggests) it would be really sad if there was no low level support for the new one. These games are CPU bound so this would help not only for porting but also the performance of windows 7-10 users. Going from mantle to d3d12 for a cross platform game would not be so smart...

Comment

since this releasing for linux too at the same time and given what the dev has said there is a good chance they will use vulkan to target windows and linux simultaneously

Hey guys! If you don't know me, I'm Brad Wardell, founder and CEO of Stardock. I also wrote the original Galactic Civilizations for OS/2 back in 1993. On GalCiv III, I joined during Beta 5 to take over the AI and in-game turn-time performance and will continue to be enhancing both over the coming months/years. Feel free in this post to ask me anything you'd like GalCiv related.

I guess since they already ship their games on Linux and their engine already supports mantle on windows this is the logical progression for their tech

Comment

Wish they would port Civ 4. I am definitely not a fan of Civ 5.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

Awwww, looks like the average PayAlotToMaybeWinSomeday Android game.
            I wouldn't be surprised if this was done precisely to be able tot target mobile devices at some point. Neutered graphics, easier port.
            Then again, back when I played Civ, it wasn't about looks, it was about gameplay. Which is why I stopped at the beginning of Alpha Centauri: the gameplay was basically the same.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I wouldn't be surprised if this was done precisely to be able tot target mobile devices at some point. Neutered graphics, easier port.
              Then again, back when I played Civ, it wasn't about looks, it was about gameplay. Which is why I stopped at the beginning of Alpha Centauri: the gameplay was basically the same.
              You've got a point with neutered graphics. I also agree with you when it comes to gameplay vs. graphics. I'd much rather have interesting gameplay that even nicer graphics. Hell, better A.I. would come before better graphics, too (almost none of my friends play Civ, and the few who do like the series no longer have that amount of time to allot to games anymore).

That being said, I'm really not a fan of the art style, despite it not being that high on my priority list.

Comment

/me wets his pants

Comment

Originally posted by chris200x9 View Post
                  So excited! I hope the net code is fixed though, I can't play multiplayer worth a damn.
                  Yeah, we need to start a change.org petition to bring PBEM back.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
                    since this releasing for linux too at the same time and given what the dev has said there is a good chance they will use vulkan to target windows and linux simultaneously

http://steamcommunity.com/app/226860...98356164953482
                    This is stardock and has nothing to do with Firaxis and Civilization, afaict

Comment

Working...
                    X